This Disappears When Logged In

Even Making Plants...

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Medium, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Here is one of many plants I have made, I got so tired of the store plants that I found my own safe easy way to make them. They turned out really well.

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That looks good, how did you make the leaves, and from out of what?

3. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

Those look great! I would also like to know how they are made. Great job!

4. Medium

Medium Elite Member

The leaves came from a bundle bought at a reptile shop, (also can get them at a Hobby Lobby,) after cutting them loose I bound them in a air drying clay...painted and finished with water proofed sealant. I have a few different kind. They have worked out perfectly.

5. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Here are the products I used...it takes about two to three weeks for a finished product. Air drying times between steps.

Attached Files:

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I generally by my fake plants from Craft stores, and sometimes, I can even find them at Old Time Pottery (They usually have a really good selection!)

Much cheaper than pet store bought stuff, and it's an identical product.

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great idea, making your own is much cheaper. There is a guy over here who makes them also and sells them to the pet store. He uses rocks and drills a hole in them and glues them in place, much heavier than the ones that are sold normally at the pet store.
    You could always make a little cash on the side with your idea!!
    Looks like alot of fun too, good craft for the kids.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just be aware that with the air dried clay, if there is any way at all of them getting damp it will soften back up.
    And the holes where the leaf stems enter into it is a very likely candidate.

9. Medium

Medium Elite Member

That is why I spray the sealant deep inside, that cures the problem. With high humidity I would go with a deeper water proof. Mine have held up through washings and done very well. With out the sealant you will have trouble.

The rock ones sound awesome!! With the right tools that would be a blast to make. I might go mad trying to make them for other people...LOL!

Much cheaper, I can't stand the choices at the pet shop.

10. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

They look very cool! :)

11. Medium

Medium Elite Member

They sure have taken the pain out of shopping, thanks Lucy!

12. TeoSnow

TeoSnow Active Member

I can't believe that I never thought of doing this! Such a great idea. I've always hated the pet store prices, and the selection is usually dismal.

I know what my frogs will be getting next paycheck :D

13. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

use aquarium silicone inside of the holes where you place the plant stems, this should seal it up nicely