This Disappears When Logged In

Eureka, I Think

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Uelrindru, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Uelrindru

Uelrindru Member

I just got a brown anole and set up an enclosure for him. We have apparently the driest living room ever being normally 20ish percent humidity. I spray like mad and the bottom of the enclosure looks like it suffered a monsoon but still watch the humidity fall from 70% to 20% in usually a few hours.
    I've tried wet moss, drip system, soaking some sandstone and putting it near the heat source covering the mess in the enclosure and nothing works. I also smoke cigars and was wondering if a cigar humidifier ie the little bars or round things you put in humidors would work to up the humidity. I would love to try but I use Propylene Glycol as the stabilizer and I want to make sure that this is safe for the little guy. He's eaten moss so I I know he'll mess with this.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. Uelrindru

Uelrindru Member

I'll look into that, the reason I really want to use the cigar humidifier is it will self regulate the humidity so it is 70% all the time. Though I guess if I douse those in the pg solution and then soak them it'll be the same thing.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Why do you want to use Propylene Glycol, whats wrong with water? Reptiles and amphibians are very sensitive to these types of things, I would seriously do a lot of research on the substance, check out the MSDS sheets!

5. Uelrindru

Uelrindru Member

Oiy, I need to explain myself better, Propylene Glycol is poured on the object to about half saturation and then water is added to just below saturation level. The propylene glycol is "pushed out" by the water and forms a film around the outside of the soaked object and then becomes a permeable surface to let water out or let water in so the air around it is equalized at 70% relative humidity.

6. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

just buy a cheap room humidifier and stick it in their. why use something with chemicals, just buy a humidifier from walmart for like 20 bucks and it will help the humidity. also, hopefully your not smoking in the reptile room! not only is smoke bad for human lungs, but imagine all that smoke in a tiny anoles lungs.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

this is simple. what does the top of your cage look like? Your humidity is going somewhere. Find the leak, control the humidity. What is the size of the tank? Substrate? decor? Lights and temps? can you post a photo?

8. Uelrindru

Uelrindru Member

I've decided since I'm generally dissatisfied with the vivarium, it's an old 15 gallon tall aqaurium, I'm going to tear it down and probably toss the tank but I'm starting a live vivarium for flash so hopefully with the live plants things will be better humidity wise. I'll post pictures but it is WAY too much of a pain cleaning.

9. schlegelbagel

Don't toss the thank. The tank is good. What is your top? Make one out of wood, this will keep the humidity in. live plants help too.

10. Uelrindru

Uelrindru Member

It's a screen top sort of. It's an old acrylic tank, it starts off about the footprint of a normal 10 gallon at the bottom and increases till it's a 20 gallon at the top. It's capped with a plastic top top that has a 6'X4' opening in the top. It was a pain to get everything when I started it and chasing Flash when I clean is crazy, I'm scared I'm gonna hurt him since I have huge hands and they barely fit through.

11. schlegelbagel

i have no idea what this tank looks like. I'm guessing you meant 6 inches, not 6 feet LOL. Can you post a photo? We might be able to help more if you can.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like a very tall Critter keeper type of tank. Hard plastic lid with a door opening.