This Disappears When Logged In

ETB wheeeeze

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by okreptilerescue, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

So i got an ETB for x-mas (YAY!) i've wanted one for years. The person we got her from is a good friend- he has a lot of VERY healthy animals, he's just a good guy.
    We've had the snake for about 5 days now, and she wheezes- like a respiratory infection BUT theres no gurgling, no bubbles, no discharge, just a wheeze.

We just got back from the vet- not a URI- her mouth is clean as a whistle....

now i'm confused.

Do ETB's always wheeze? is that an "ETB thing" or....?:confused:

my vet is a good one so I don't see him as being "wrong".... and certainly not for the price... :mad:

sooo- anyone know

beth

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Beth A URI would be my first guess. Is the vet actually a herp vet or just someone that will look at a snake? I have never heard of a wheezing sound being assciated with any snake. Hissing,... yes, but not wheezing.
    Are you able to determine whether the sound is coming through the nose or through the mouth?
    You might check to see if there is some leftover shed in the nostrils that might be obstructing the airway.

3. okreptilerescue

The vet is a herp/avian vet that will occasionally see dogs/cats. Its the vet I use for my rescue animals and he/we have brought some animals back from the dead. He's wonderful.

It sounds like its coming from the nostrils- she doesnt have her mouth open when she makes the sound.
    I only hear the wheeze when shes active- Its similar to when a burm moves around and makes the breathing sound but she's not a giant so...

Its very faint, I have to be standing over her cage listening for it in order to hear it. She has had her throat sort-of puffed up though. again, only when shes moving around or checking me out.

She ate for me the nite before last- very well- no hesitation or anything, she's active, shes not got a temper on her like most EBT's.... I just worry about the wheeze.
    Like you said, i've never heard of that being associated with any snake....

Perhaps we'll go to another vet for a second opinion- I just have a lot of faith in my vet- he's not steered me wrong yet.... but this is my expensive baby so perhaps another vet trip is in order...

thanks
    Beth

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

It could be a number of things causing the sound your hearing. I must say I find it strange a vet would say that it's not a URI and just send you home with out doing a bacterial culture to confirm and giving you a good bill for it.

Though I did have a Ball python that had what looked like a URI and the culture come back negitve. I had changed the substrate so I think it may have been behind the noise and all (I've never used that substrate again).

5. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

This would be my thought if the vet did not make a finding of URI. Good luck.

6. okreptilerescue

we did do a culture- negative.

I looked up her nose (she wasn't happy) and I dont see anything- she just shed last week (i was told) and she had a little stuck on her back that i just rubbed off when i went to see her- came right off.

I think we're going to another vet just to make sure....

just seems so strange.... I've never had a "problem" or a mis-diagnose with my vet- he's seen hundreds of my animals and to date we've only lost 3 rescues (one of old age, and one of old age and that stupid ice storm...) He's really never made a mistake...

I will get another vet opinion...

thanks

7. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

I notice the "puffy throat" in my emeralds just before they actually shed. I have a feeling it helps loosen the old skin. Is your animal cbb or wc? BTW, being in a shed cycle doesn't mean they will refuse to eat. Most of mine are pigs and will eat at any time.

Craig

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Good luck and let us know what the 2nd vet says. I'm pretty curious!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.