This Disappears When Logged In

Escaping Dubias

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Moshpitrockchick, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Hello folks, long time no see. I am still kicking and wanted to run something by you.

2 years ago I started a roach colony in a 50g smooth sided sterilite. They have been thriving (I sell off about 1,000 roaches every 3 months) but lately they have been escaping and it's not just the babies. Even the 1/2inch roaches have outsmarted the vasoline (which has had to be reapplied several times due to it running) and they get past the packing tape too. I keep the egg crates down low to the floor and have 2 bricks on the top. My humidity has been on the high side lately (60%) which may be allowing them to more readily climb but I am wondering if anyone has any input on how to prevent the escapes.

Should I build a custom enclosure? Do you think weather stripping and a weighted lid might work? What has worked for you?

I'm probably going to split them into two containers soon because my 2 ancient lizards just aren't keeping up with my huge colony so I can just sell off a bin here and there.

Thanks folks!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hey Lacey. Good to see you/hear from you again.
    I have no issues with mine. Heat is a human heat pad from below and I have cellophane tape run around the inside lip.
    My only issue is they breed soooo slowly compared to my last colony. Escapees as far as know never happen.

I have a lid on as well with a hole cut in the center. In the winter I have a pc of wood on top to hold in extra moisture.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

There is a product called "slippery feet" or something like that that is made to prevent this, ill see if I can find a link. Haven't had this problem myself. Mike, are you using any citrus in the slow colony? Had a serious increase in production when I started giving them some orange or grapefruit.

Edit: easier than i thought. Slippery Feet

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey Girl! Good to see you! What type of tub are you using? Some of the sterilites have a slight grain to the inside that might be allowing them to climb it. I use a Rubbermade brand and the inside is slick. I have never seen one of my roaches even start to climb up on it.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm using a fairly smooth sided bin but I may transfer them just to see what happens. I need to divide the colony anyway. They seem to be thriving despite my neglecting them lately. A little food and a little water and they're having a party.

I just had the thought that maybe I can use spring clamps to hold the lid on extra tight since I access the bin through a hole in the top of the lid for feeding and gathering roaches.

I guess the next bin will have to have stickyfeet and tape and maybe a layer of vasoline for good measure.