This Disappears When Logged In

Escaped Reptiles?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaaaaaaaaaard, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

Whilst perusing Instagram last night I came across a young ladies page who clearly owned multiple reptiles and SEEMS to be relatively knowledgable and experienced. That being said, she had a picture of her Green Iguana about 30ish feet up in the top of a tree. The story was as follows(not verbatim); "while letting him wander around outside the dogs I thought were put away came charging at him causing him to scamper up to the top of a tree, I waited for several hours with no luck when it began raining and I went inside to put away some wood from a project, less than 30 seconds, and when I returned he was gone". This is definitely not the first time I've heard of a reptile escaping but I seem to be seeing it a bit more lately. While it's certainly tragic to lose an animal in such a way I feel it's mostly preventable and hope it never happens to me. I also find one of the best ways to learn is from mistakes. What are some things y'all do to prevent escape and what are some situations in which you've had reptiles escape? Or have you tried anything that just failed to work?

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Buy a secure vivarium. Did it for me, lol ;)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unfortunately this is common. People put far too much faith in their reptiles "friendliness"!
    If it can get away,...IT WILL!
    This is not a dog who will return from whatever it is doing when you call. The best way to prevent these happenings is to not allow the animal to get in the situation to begin with.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As for being up in a treetop. I knew of someone else who made this mistake.
    The last they saw of their iguana was as it was flying away over the treetops clutched in the talons of a hawk!

5. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

Now don't get me wrong, as it stands now my herps are plenty secure. Especially since neither are over 3 months old. It's just a shame people let it happen. I think the one I saw would be a little to big for a hawk but I don't really know. It'd be terrible to have happen though I know that for sure. Especially because at the end of the day no matter what you tell yourself it's most likely, at least in some way, your fault. No bueno.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The only time I've had reptiles escape was when I did something stupid, like not securing the cage for whatever reason. Like merlin said, it's not like they're going to come when you call. In the example above, the lady was free roaming her ig outside? Could she be any more foolish? If it hadn't been the dogs, it could have been almost anything else, a bird, an engine backfiring or some other loud noise. I never free roam any of my reptiles, even indoors, except under very close supervision, and in a closed room. Heck when I get around to building an outdoor enclosure, the animals will be taken out there in tubs and not released until I'm inside and the gate is shut.