This Disappears When Logged In

Escaped Ball Now In Air Ducts

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Dhar_Ken, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Dhar_Ken

Dhar_Ken New Member

My daughter's ball escaped about 2 weeks ago (I take responsibility, I didn't secure the tank properly) and we were fairly certain he had no way into the heat ducts.

We've been leaving her pet mouse out in a cage on the floor (after we pulled the house apart) with his heat lamp and shelter near it hoping that would lure him out.

Last night i found some scales on a sweater in my room, downstairs. At first i thought he must have slithered across the sweater. But the more we thought about it, there is a ceiling register in the ceiling about 2.5 feet above the sweater and there were more scales only on the clothes directly below this register. So we think he must have found the ONE floor register cover with a small hole (which is on the opposite side of the house, but the same floor from my daughters room) and somehow gotten in there, then taken the path to the downstairs.

So now that we think we know where he is - how do we get him out? We've already put the mouse in the cage by the opening to the register to try and lure him back. Is there anything else i can do?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If he is in the duct, there isn't much you can do beyond trying to lure him out like you are with prey.

3. Dhar_Ken

Dhar_Ken New Member

I got him last night.

There were more scales on my clothes so i looked in there with a mirror and flashlight and he was right there, but wrapped around something. I figured it was then or never so i just grabbed him and tried my best to uncoil him as carefully as i could. He was shedding thankfully, or we'd have never known he was right there by that vent.

He's dusty and finishing his shed. And secured. Poor guy was pretty thirsty. But seems rather unphased otherwise.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You might be able to call a place that does furnaces and duct work, I believe they often have inspection cameras they can use to check inside the air ducts. Another trick you might be able to use to help would be to start removing the vent covers and putting a cell phone camera and LED flashlight up into the ducts and taking pictures. Done this a couple times when I wanted to see into an area my head wouldn't fit. Also check at the bottom of the air return duct, usually the filter and a couple panels removed from the furnace will let you get to it.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are lucky you got him back! Now secure those vents.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Apparently I should have refreshed the page before posting. Glad to hear it's OK.