This Disappears When Logged In

Escape!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Dragoness, Sep 12, 2011.

1. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

A funnel trap could work. Have a bell or something rigged so it'll make noise if she gets into it while your home. :p

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I saw somewhere(maybe here on HC) about cutting a hole in a container just big enough for the snake to squeeze through and placing their favorite food inside the container(box), theory is snake goes in, eats but cannot get back out because of belly lump...best of luck tonight!

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Now THATS what I call clever lol.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Off to get my live rat tonight, as I got called in to work unexpectedly yesterday. I even have a rodent cage... Going to add space heater to crawl space because it got cold in there last night, and I don't think the heat mat would cut it...

I have been sweeping the house about 6+ times a day starting with waking, and then staying up till 2:00 a.m. or later. sometimes even setting alarms for middle of the night to get up and look. So far, nothing.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The rat failed to lure her out last night, but I'm going to keep it around for a while. My brother's girlfriend just had her hamster die, so she gave me his old cage, complete with bedding that was used, so the cage smells like rat and hamster. Hoping that smells tasty to Peaches.

I'm thinking about turning the house thermostat up to about 80ºF for a day or two, let the furnace blast for a bit, hoping that if she is in the house, it will warm her up and stimulate her appetite, and encourage her to move around, and hopefully get caught. Maybe she would take interest in the boxed dinner on the living room floor if I could just try and warm her up. Ambient house temps outside the herp room are about 68ºF. A little chilly for tropical snakes. She may well be close to being in torpor at those temps (Crawl space temps dropped into the 50's the other night. If she is down there, she's not going to be moving much at all.)

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Still got my fingers crossed. I hope you find her soon.
    Dumb question, but have you checked back INSIDE her terrarium or under/behind it again ? (Just in case she decided to go home on her own?)
    I'd still focus on the room where her terrarium is: any HIGH places, inside clothes, etc. Mine LOVED to climb!

7. longsh0t

longsh0t Member

I just found out my BRB was missing late last night. I left out some water and put a heatmat under a rubbermaid container filled with damp moss. After work I'm going to try a live mouse to hopefully coax him out. I'm hoping that if he eats the mouse he'll be more comfortable with the smell of his hide and moss than with going back to where ever he's hiding. :(

I feel your pain. I hope you find yours soon!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I sweep the entire house daily, and check her cage, and sift her substrate daily as well. Right now, all the cages are moved out from the walls a couple inches, just enough for me to shine a flashlight back there easily. Also put a chair in the middle of that room, so I can look on top of everything. There are no curtains in that room (windows are covered up with wood, nailed down. no need for curtains.) The only tall shelves are bare up top, and sparse beneath, very easy to watch, but so far no sign of her. There is only one closet in the room, but the door is so tight fitting, I have a hard time opening it because of the carpet! I doubt she could get in under that door. I have been checking all the other high places though, and the low ones. Pretty much any place I think she can possibly squeeze into is being checked regularly.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

CHECK THAT CLOSET!!! Check the places that there is NO WAY she could possibly get into or on top of!! (You would be surprised!!!)

Good luck!!!!!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

we already tore all the shelves out of the closet and emptied out every bucket, bin, and spare hide she may have gotten into (it's my herp supply closet), checked inside the spare humidifiers, rolls of cage carpet, cardboard boxes and paper towel tubes, everything.

My brother came over, and tore the wall out of the closet for me, because there was a gap in the corner it looked like she could have fit through. Nothing but a ton of dust and cobwebs, nothing larger than an ant has been through that gap for months, if not years. It's been thoroughly boarded up now, and will be filled with great stuff at some point.

11. longsh0t

longsh0t Member

Just wanted to share that my snake came back sometime last night! I took a plastic shoebox and lined it with damp paper towels. I drilled a hole in the side that would be big enough for the snake to fit in but small enough that the hopper mouse couldn't get out. I drilled a bunch of holes in the top for ventilation to help the scent to get out. Tossed in some bark and moss in there as well in case my snake showed up. I left it on top of a spare heat mat to keep it warm since I'm sure he's been fairly cold wherever he's been.

Checked it this morning and he was in there. He ate the mouse and was too fat to get back out of the hole he came in. Even if he could, it was warm and humid inside the shoebox so I'm sure he would have stayed anyway.

This was the 3rd night after he escaped. I had the mouse setup for 2 nights.

Hoping to give you some hope that yours will come back! But depending on how big yours is you might want to try using a mouse as bait!

BTW, I left flour trails and crumpled up plastic bags all over to try to track him. I never noticed a thing.

12. longsh0t

longsh0t Member

After re-reading your initial post and seeing your snake is 5ft a large rubbermaid container may work better. Put the hole for the snake higher up so the mouse/rat can't climb up to it but your snake can easily make it's way in. Some holes at the top for ventilation (and to let the scent out) and a heat mat underneath.

Our house was pretty cool and I left it that way so my snake would hopefully try to seek out heat.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad to hear that you found yours, Now hopefully Jen will find hers!

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My house would be cool if I let the heater turn off, but I don't want her going into torpor while she is hiding (it's a drafty old house. Temps would drop to mid fifties at night if I let them.). I need her to stay warm so she can move around, and hopefully get spotted, or work up an appetite, and try to get at the rat.

My snake eats rats - I have a live one in a cage downstairs, I might just take the whole cage (it's small - probably a 1 foot cube) and put it in a large rubbermaid with heat and humidity and some ventilation. I'm kind of nervous at the idea of leaving her access to a live rodent, just in case things go wrong when she tries to eat it, but if I can lure her to the smell of food, and suitable environment, maybe it'll work. As it is, I have a moist hide next to the rat, but I think I'll try the rubbermaid thing.... wish me luck.

On that note, I think I will change all of my heat mats so they also have warm moist rubbermaid boxes on them, rather than her typical hides from her cage (caves). Hopefully she will turn up. Every time I have had a snake get out before, they never went far, so I am crossing my fingers that she is still in the house, and just found a darn good hiding spot.

I do not know her dimensions well enough to know exactly what the right size hole would be to get her into a box, eat a meal, and not let her back out. I could guess, but it'd be a crapshoot whether I made the hole the right size.

15. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I am SOOO sorry to hear this (Just reading this post today).....definitely sending positive thoughts your way..I know how stressful it can be when worrying about an escapee....I don't have any additional advice, only want you to know I am thinking of you and hoping you will find your boa very soon.

16. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Hey Jenn how is the search going??? Any news?? I've been keeping her in my thoughts and prayers

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

She has not yet turned up, nor have I seen evidence of her in the house :(. I have a bin set up hoping she will wander in, and not feel like wandering back out.

It has a live rat inside a wire cage, set within a larger plastic rubbermaid. The rat cage only takes up about half of it. The other half has a heat mat under it, and moist coco fiber, and one of her log hides. The whole thing is covered with a blanket to help keep light out, and heat in, and has a 1.4" hole in one end to let her in if she should happen to want in.

I check the bin several times a day, hoping I'll get lucky, and get Peaches back. I'm trying to keep the house just warm enough that she won't go into torpor or get sick, but cool enough that she will hopefully seek out heat, and come to the bin. I have my thermostat set to about 70ºF, but I know the temps get lower by 2-4 degrees at times.

I appreciate the thoughts - hopefully she turns up soon, and I can stop worrying (and stop locking up the cats when I'm away or asleep.)

I'm torn between feeling like I should give up, but so many people said their snake turned up a month later. Half of me thinks I should give up, the other half says "It's only been a week - she'll turn up and surprise you."

The minute I find her, you guys will know about it.

18. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

I keep checking back each time I see you post just in case that's the big conclusion we're all waiting for :p

Still anxiously hoping you find her!

19. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Ditto!

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I want my peaches back. She had been off her feed for a few weeks before going missing (she fasts intermittently during the winters - she'll go off a few weeks, then on a few, then off a few) so hopefully, she will get an appetite before much longer...

I still check all over the place regularly, with my flashlight, and I have seen nothing to indicate she may have passed - not so much as a turd (not that she would have any - she's empty) At least I know there are several water dishes around the house, because I am also worried about her potentially dehydrating while out of her cage, and dying of thirst, or getting an RI because of her time outside of her climate controlled environment.