This Disappears When Logged In

Escape!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Dragoness, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This month is just turning out to be a pretty horrible month. Last night, I apparently forgot to lock my BRB cage, presumably when I was done with my nightly routines in that room. This morning, she is of course, not in it. I have torn the herp room apart, and do not believe she is in it - though she may surprise me - I keep it clean and organized for that reason. The crack under the door to that room is large enough to admit her. I have been systematically tearing the house apart trying to find her.

In the meantime, both of my cats are going to my mom's house so neither one gets injured or eaten. The BRB (Peaches) is 5 feet long, and one of the cats is a kitten, so possible. The other cat is a 15 pound maine coon with all his claws, but he's going anyways. I don't want him or the BRB hurt if they should cross paths at night or while I'm at work.

The boa in question has been off her feed for a couple weeks, which is not unusual for her this time of year, so I don't know that food would work as a lure, especially if she gets chilled being outside her cage.

I'm sick with worry - the temps are cooling here, and this house is old, there are lots of holes in the floor where cords, ducts and pipes go down to the crawlspace, which in turn leads outside. If she gets through one of those, I have no real hope of finding her, though I am getting a plastic suit later today so I can get into the crawlspace (it's full of old fiberglass insulation, lots of large rocks, and foam sheet, not to mention the spiders and other things I probably should not be crawling through.) The crawl is dark and humid, so she would probably think it's a great place t hide. Unfortunately, it is not temperature controlled in the least. I'm of half a mind to put a heat mat and a hide down there for her, just in case, and check on it regularly, to see if she shows up on it.

I've been under a LOT of stress lately, which tends to make me a little absentminded at times. Can anyone think of other things that might help me find her? Even if it's common sense, toss it out there, my brain is not really high-functioning right now. I have recruited daily help with the reptiles from here on out, because I don't trust myself right now to get everything right, or stay on top of it. I have given some thought to finding a temporary home for them, until I feel a little better. I don't want to give them up if I can avoid it, but I don't think I'm up to the task by myself right now.

2. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation! I don't see my Timor baby for days on end sometimes and it will worry my sick - he has escaped once before and it's really hard to find a 5" little guy in a 3 story house :/

Leave a bowl of chicken broth in the middle of a room? Haha. I'm really not sure how you lure a snake... Maybe a snake trap?

3. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

1 Hide + 1 something that smells good + 1 heat source = possible staged trap/lure?

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I've heard of putting foil near edges(behind and under furniture, in doorways, etc) and places where the snake needs to slither to get to places. Foil or anything that makes noise or a pattern when something walks through it(some people use flour, but that is so messy and less useful with carpet)

Um...a heat source and one of the snake's hides they are used to..

The only other thing I can think of is to not look for your snake, look for three inches of your snake, because that's all you're probably going to see depending on how well hidden she is!

Keep looking inside furniture, anything that has a small rip or a little bit of give is enough!

I have heard of people also buying a live rodent and putting it in the cage, as often even snakes going off f/t will still go for live. I know someone who found her snake who escaped in her car this way. Sometimes you don't even have to leave the area, they'll come sniffing for it and you can grab them before they go after the food

I really hope that she isn't in one of the holes!! When you find her I would find a way to cover them as soon as possible!

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Oh that is horrible I'm so sorry!! I would just flip out if my rainbow got out, I know how you feel. I agree with what Kat said, food in the cage. Keep the heat and misting up, Peaches may eventually return there because it's the only place that matches her atmospheric needs. Only hard part is catching her there when she does return, and before she goes back out somewhere.

I really wish you the best of luck finding her!

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Check your hanging clothes, sleeves, pockets. Inside shoes. Rainbows like to climb, so look high check curtain rods tops of cabinets and even the walls behind cabinets. Sometimes they'll climb halfway up the wall behind a piece of furniture.
    Put a warm F/T rat under her favorite hide on a heating pad in a corner and wait. In the evening/night turn off all the radios/TV and listen for rustling noises: they mostly like to move around at night.
    I hope you find her!!

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

no luck yet - I got a tyvek suit, and crawled around the crawlspace for an hour, no sign of her. My brother looked too. My mom called in sick to work to help me look. We have torn apart furniture, literally rolled couches over and torn the bottoms off to check inside, disassembled bookcases to look under them, even taken the faceplates off of every appliance so we could look inside, under and behind. Torn a few holes in the wall to check small gaps she might have tried to squeeze through - I have never been so grateful for cobwebs in my life, because we have found a LOT of small gaps around cabinets, closets, and such that are completely cobwebbed, and show no signs of anything passing recently.

my plan is to put bait in every room (F/T rodents - Am thawing multiples tonight to feed the other snakes) and putting lines of flour or baking soda to see if she moves through any of it.

If she doesn't turn up tonight, I'll go get a live rodent of some type, and try to bait her out with it trapped in a cage.

Once I find her, or lose hope, I'll be attacking every last gap and crack with great stuff, in case of future events, but I am hesitant to do it right now, in case I trap her somewhere.

The crawlspace is chilly, so I'm going to put my big farrowing mat down there with a hide on top of it, in case she turns up trying to find a warm spot.

She'll probably need a vet visit after this. If she doesn't have an RI, she might run into any of the numerous fugly spiders living down there, all of whom inflict a painful bite that makes a large festering sore on people.

Every drawer in my house has been removed from it's cabinet and emptied, and looked behind/under. Every piece of furniture has been checked under behind, inside, etc. I don't know where she could possibly be.

Now I'm wondering if there is some type of paint, or something that will react to blacklight that I could put in lines along the floors of my house, that way if she crawled through it, she would leave a visible trail. At this point I don't care if I wreck the carpet - I was planning to re-carpet in the upcoming months anyways.

8. purplemuffin

Don't forget to check, recheck, and check again! I know someone who lost their bp for a month, only to find it right in a corner they had checked multiple times!

Good luck! The blacklight idea is an interesting one. There are anti-theft powders that glow blue in blacklight, but I don't know how healthy that is for the snake to breathe in. I imagine it wouldn't take much to get the effect, and it wouldn't be all over so it's probably okay--she could be experiencing other things right now anyway! I really am sending positive thoughts, I hope you find her!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I keep re-checking any place I think she will fit, no luck. I don't have a clue which level of the house she is even on (upstairs, down, or crawl. ) reptile room is downstairs, and the door to that room is always closed to keep cats out, but I think she could fit under it - there is a sizable gap, so I am not assuming she is confined there. All of the exterior doors to the house however are tight-fitting. The crawl space floor holes will be getting taped up tonight, as I can go down there and check again any time I like. I will be foaming them eventually.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

For that matter, I am not sure how long to leave my cats at my mom's house. Peaches is certainly big enough to kill the kitten, and my big cat, Braveheart, is certainly big enough to kill her, or do some very serious damage. If I could rule out rooms she wasn't in, I could confine the cats to those rooms, and make sure she doesn't fit under the doors.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hope you find her soon!
    Stress, really play a big role in being absent minded!

12. purplemuffin

If you have to bring the cats home I would have them under supervision--always in the room with you in places where they can't get hidden too far out of sight. They might be able to smell out the snake though so you might notice them sniffing around something--You would really really have to watch them if they act weird in order to intervene and grab the cat if they found your snake!! I would keep them away for a little longer at least

13. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

My cat went on high alert when my ATB went missing out of her enclosure, I too must have not replaced the lid like normal, I didn't know she was missing until the next morning when I turned lights on, searched all over the place and when I sat down to take a break my cat was stalking the television stand...it's a heavy piece of furniture and I did not pull it out, just looked behind and under it...the cat kept stalking so I fianlly moved the stand and there was my ATB all coiled up in a ball, 5 feet away from her enclosure.

I hope you find your girl!! I think the heat pad and hide is a great idea!

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

none of my cats acted strange, and i was watching them closely. Peaches is still small enough I could intervene if she latched on, but only if I was here to see it... The cats will spend a few nights away, while I try a few different things.

15. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Jen My BRB Houdini got out once and was missing for three days, hence the name. I finally found him in a cd case that was zippered shut. At the time he was only about a foot and a half but I never figured out how he got out of the locked cage and into a zippered case. I know how I felt and how happy I was when he was finally found. If its getting cooler hopefully she will come out tonight to a heat source. Good luck in finding your girl. I second the idea of running out and getting a caged live rat for bait. if it helps you find her you can always dispatch it in other ways and then give it to her for returning.

16. AZEquine

AZEquine Member

Maybe a search dog could sniff it down.

17. AZEquine

AZEquine Member

18. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I am so sorry to hear this Jen! You certainly have had enough on your plate lately! Sending positive vibes your way.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I actually thought about finding a bloodhound, but I don't know anyone that has one... In the meantime, I had plenty of baking soda, it is now on my floors, in neat little lines, across every hallway and door, so at least I will know if she moves in or out of certain areas of the house. No movement last night, despite doing flashlight sweeps at 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. Getting a live rat or mouse tomorrow to try to lure her, and doing another sweep of my crawl space tonight after dark, probably around midnight.

I'm thinking of providing the caged rat in the very near vicinity of a warm hide with some damp moss in it, so she has an ideal hiding spot nearby - warm and humid. My brother is brainstorming a snake-safe live trap for me in the meantime, something she could get into, but not out of. So far, the best idea is some kind of funnel and tube - crawls in the funnel, and can't get back out.

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck tonight, great idea with the heat and hide, a live feeder may just do the trick!