This Disappears When Logged In

Epicrates Subflavus - Jamaican Boa

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by TamJam, Mar 4, 2010.

1. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Desperately trying to survive here on a small island in the Caribbean that thinks it needs concrete beaches and cleared-out forests.

Our endemic Jamaican Boa or "Yellow Snake" is just about tottering on the edge of extinction due mainly to human predation/deforestation and isolation of small groups due to bauxite mining and industrial "development".

Meet Steve. This picture was taken when he was about half the size he is now. I will post some more pics on this thread soon.

Steve the beautiful.jpg

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very cool. It seems that most species are being wiped out and reduced due to us humans.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I always tell people at the zoo that the most dangerous animals in the park are not in cages. It confuses them.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Jen, I totally agree with you on your take of the most dangerous animal situation. That is what I tell people in my educational lectures. Of all the animals everyone is so afraid of, they come into contact with literally HUNDREDS of the most deadly ones every day. You can almost see the wheels in their brains come to a complete halt when they think about that!

TamJam- that is a beautiful snake. I am anxiously awaiting follow-up photos.

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Sorry to be taking so long with the follow-up photos!

As a dangerous, unpredictable and forgetful elderly member of the human race, I am prone to these lapses. But I try not to bite anyone.

Got to get batteries for my camera!!!

Anyway this is one that was released back into "the wild" by a conservationist here some time ago.

Yellow Snake - Jamaican Boa released.jpg

6. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Gorgeous snakes! Let's get rid of the humans' natural habitat and see how they like it!! Oh, wait. I'm a human. Sometimes I forget. ;)

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We are working on it!:rolleyes:

8. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

It has been a while!

Last weekend I was called to "rescue" one of these Jamaican boas that was in very poor conditions and with someone who would not even touch him because of their fear of him. This latest keeper (who was really a good and caring person but just was not used to snakes) had got him from a "friend of a friend" neither of whom wanted him or knew a thing about them. Anyway, cutting it short, I have him for the time being until everything is resolved and he is settled somewhere where he can thrive.

He is nervous and snappy, and no wonder.

Pictures will be posted later (and I don't mean next year!!!)

9. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Pictures will be posted this evening, I promise, guys!!!

Thanks for your patience.

Get some popcorn and have it ready to eat while you watch the show.

10. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

DSC06030.jpg

DSC06032.jpg

DSC06035.jpg

DSC06036.jpg

DSC06040.jpg

DSC06042.jpg

This is Kullah-Kullah, the Jamaican boa who is staying with me for a while until I get him into a better condition. As you can see he needs some help with shedding, but he seems all right otherwise so far and I think he will soon eat again (he ate once already before I took over his care).

I think he is fabulous looking! He is around five and a half feet.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Amazing looking Boa, So are these native to Jamaica, probably a stupid question since it a Jamaican Boa.

12. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

These boas are indigenous to Jamaica and native to no other place in the world. And Jamaica is a tiny island that is being over-developed and this spells disaster for these snakes, plus generally, Jamaicans hate or fear them and kill them on sight, most often.

They are supposed to be :protected: species but no protection is being done - it is just a word.

13. mld

Thats so sad, such a beautiful snake! You would think that they would be proud to have such a snake found no where else in the world.

14. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Amazing animal, I love the progressive colour change to black, really neat snake. You are probably one of only a few people to have possession of this animal. You must feel honoured! :D

15. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow...I had to actually enlarge the pictures, because at first glance I thought there were 2 different snakes in the 3rd and 4th picture... It wasn't until I looked closer that I saw it was one whose coloring changed so radically...Very interesting, and nice looking animal.. I'm glad he is out of harms way, and hopefully his shedding issues will be dealt with and improve now that he is in your care.....Good luck with the feeding and again,
    Thanks for sharing the pics.

16. mld

I thought it was 2 snakes also when I first seen the picture! I figured she rescued 2 and they came in different colors!

17. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Thank you all very much for your interest!

I have called him "Kullah-Kullah" (Color-Color) exactly because of his radically different color changes!

I will do updates on his progress. I am going to feed him this weekend and maybe get pics of that! He will also get a nice lukewarm soak and some sunshine.

18. mld

TamJam's Reptile Spa, sound great, I'm feeling a little scaly with all this cold weather up here, I'll have to check out your Jamaican Spa! ;)

19. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Haha!!! I would love to have a real reptile spa!!! It is far from that, but at least I love them and try to give them what I think they need.

I will put up some more pictures soon...he is eating well...ate a good sized rat on Sunday (fresh killed from my stock).

20. OwlandMocha

OwlandMocha Active Member

So do I. Maybe because im NOT AT ALL a people person would prefer to stay home with my babies. :)