This Disappears When Logged In

English is Not My First Language..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wildheart, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

No, but the text/netspeak trend is just an extension of the 'phonetic' spelling they taught my son in elementary school. If the spelling matched the way the word sounded it was ok:mad:

Not only did they not care about spelling, but handwriting didn't get corrected either! UGH

Wildheart and Labelle - I wouldn't worry, as said by many here already - you two do better than most. I didn't know either of you did not speak English as your first language.

2. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

My wife still has problems with spelling correctly. She went to school when the "phonics" style of spelling was incorporated into the school's curriculum. She has been out of school since 1980!:eek:
    In my view, they never should have started that program.:mad: It didn't teach/show the CORRECT way!

I'm so glad that they have abandoned "phonetic spelling"

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I never did understand if they were promoting that why it wasn't
    "Hokd on Fonix":confused::p

4. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Good point Merlin!

I really think that this new age of texting got it's 'roots' from the phonetic generation!;)

5. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

LOL... that's because Hooked on Phonics is a reading program, which is great if taught based on phonics. Spelling, on the other hand--not so much.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am truly shocked! I thought it was only South African schools that dropped their standards like that! My daughter, she is 15, cant spell in English or Afrikaans due to the school not correcting mistakes. She always gets upset with me when I point out the mistakes to her, the attitude is: "Why must I care if the teachers do not care!"

The kids over here are addicted to Mixit. All words are abbreviated in such a manner that I do not understand a word that they say! It is as if they started a new written language. If she must write a word in full then she has no idea of how to spell it, even simple words. They even have the teachers on Mixit using the same abbreviations.:mad:

This means to me that the worlds standards are dropping at a fast rate!:mad:

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

What is Mixit?

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I bet it is the same as text or IM language is for us...

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm wondering if, living under my rock, I had missed something else. I really don't mind being so disconnected from the media. It makes things around here more peaceful.

So that isn't something here in the states?

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Phonics, Ebonics, Redneckfonics, It's all an excuse to not teach true English!
    Really, in today's world, English should be taught as a science! Not that it is one but, rather it has become one!

Down here in Georgia, when I was in elementary school, they always corrected us when we used the term "Ain't". As in, "I ain't one of those!" or in rebellion, one might say, "I ain't gonna do it!"

We were always corrected and told that was not the proper way to speak.
    In today's world, it doesn't matter! As long as a child's self esteem is intact, let them talk gibberish!

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

The media is a fungus growing on all of us!

12. nicole

nicole Elite Member

That is so strange, our teachers still teach good old fashioned spelling and writing.

The only thing I do not like, is the high schools are teaching with calculators now. Who gets to take a test with a calculator? Well my kids do. GRRR.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can't even figure out how to use a flipping calculator if it's anything fancier than plus and minus. They never taught me long division at all (I found that out in college...)

Can I have an abacus please?

I put lamisil on, and it stopped growing on me.;) I do not own a TV or even a Radio (or even a car, and no, I'm not Amish). I don't get the newspaper, or any subscriptions. And I avoid looking at the news when I check my e-mail. It isn't news, most of it is irrelevant junk.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

What is Mixit:

"MXit (pronounced "mix it") is a mobile instant messenger application developed in South Africa that runs on GPRS\3G mobile phones with java support that allows you to communicate with other MXit users on their cellphones. There are thousands of chat-rooms.

MXit claims to have a registered user base of two million and about five million log-ons per day.Which is unbelievable..and most of the users are South African Teenagers..."

It is destroying our teenagers! They do not even know how to socialize anymore, when they do get together, 70% of the time they just sit together with their cell phones and communicate on Mixit!

This is English words written by our teenagers:
    you = yew, yu, yo, u
    too = tew
    me = mih, meh, meeh
    here = ere
    are = r
    and = n

:mad::(

Calculators are used from primary school.

15. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

I hate Mxit! Eish

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

O, my word, now I can't even spell South African English correct!

Mixit = Mxit.:p

17. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

We were not allowed to use calculators at HOME to do our homework!:eek::( You had to have everything in your head first, instead of the calculator doing the work for you. Anyone can punch in numbers on a calculator, knowing what the numbers mean is the key!;)

18. venus

venus Founding Member

If I dont have a calculator, I don't do math, lol. Not only can I not add, I am dislexic, lol. Put those two together and I am screwed!!

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mixit is the same as Texting over here. It's atrocious.

20. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I am right there with you on the lacking a calculator / dyslexia thing. I am mostly numerically dyslexic, I don't screw up words very often but I spend hours every week trying to figure out why my till at work is off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.