This Disappears When Logged In

English is Not My First Language..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wildheart, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Posting Language

This doesn't sound bad, it's warm, someone hand feeds me and I don't have to pay taxes? Sign me up!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Posting Language

LOL I was thinking the exact thing!

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Herp Center recognizes that we are an international community and we try very hard to make the site readable to all who use it.

This thread is created to discuss how you get along on Herp Center if English is not your first language.

Feel free to discuss challenges you face or tools that are helpful. This will help us to improve the site.

The discussion actually began on another thread and is now moved here in order to clean up the other thread. ;)

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I can tell you that HC's spelling check does not work for me. I have downloaded a spell check on my laptop that helps me. If I want to post from another computer then I have problems. I first have to type it in word and then copy it to the forum.

HC's spell check is not user friendly and do[es] not recognize my terribly spelled words.

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

That's interesting Wildheart. I'm sure Rich would like to look in to that.

Some folks will type the response or post into a word processing program, which will automatically spellcheck and then, after making the correction, copy/paste it in to the forum post. Of course if your Word processor does not spellcheck in English, it would be a problem.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

My dear, you post better than half the new members coming into the site. I think you are doing just fine. ;)

7. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

How does your translation program work? After a translation, does it find words that give you several different choices to make when it comes across a word that has several different meanings? Or just ones that are not recognized, or not in the data base?
    Does it then go into spell check mode in your language?

(for Wildheart)

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

No, I do not have a translator program, just a spelling check. I will spell wrong for instance anouth - it will underline the word and if I click on it will give me options of the correct spelling. I spelled enough exactly the way I pronounce it but the dictionary does not give me the write word because it is way to wrong. The HC spell check does not even come close to unsiffering my wrong spelled words. Unsiffering -I would spell this word in all different ways until the dictionary recognize it.

Maybe there isnt even such a word, then I will give up and try another word to replace it.

9. schlegelbagel

Unsiffering isn't a word, but its OK. We get what you are trying to say!

write - I'm going to write a sentence for you
    right - That's the right way to do it.

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Isn't someone an English teacher on here?

11. schlegelbagel

BlackJack is!

12. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Wildheart what is your first language if I might ask? :) I speak french as my primary language. My English is not so good lol. But I do get by :p

13. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

So, you are a Quebecoise?

One of my favorite words! I just love that word.

You do great for English as a second language (ESL). I would have never guessed you spoke primarily French.

I believe Wildheart's native language is Afrikaans. She is from South Africa.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I can speak English, but in my line of work I almost never have to write English. Thanks for making it 'right'!

15. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I had no idea that you two didn't speak English as your first language! You guys do wonderfully, :)
    Don't sweat the small stuff. :p

16. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

Ive seen people that were born speaking english that have worse spelling and understanding of words than you wildheart, I think you do very well.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

INDEED!

18. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

I would like to chime in here and also congratulate both Labelle & Wildheart for even trying to understand English. Having spoke and written it my entire life, I still have problems with it. You both are doing a wonderful job!! Even if a word is misspelled on here, we can figure it out.

19. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

It's all about context.

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Many Americans spend 18+ years learning English, and still don't have it down.

This text/netspeak trend lately doesn't seem to be helping things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.