This Disappears When Logged In

Enclosures

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Mark, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Part of my on going BD research

There has been a lot of talk about substraite but little on the cage itself.

I am wondering what some of you prefer for housing a beardie. Are you fans of fish tanks and all glass? Fixed top front opening wooden houses. How much ventilation is needed for the cage? Do you mainly place lighting inside the cage or on top through mesh?

At what point do you find a cage gets too small to provide a proper gradient?

thanks
    Mark

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

We house our adult beardies in wooden enclosures, with glass front doors,. and our young dragons are in smaller glass vivs - no preference, just the tanks we had. We (ok Joe :p ) built the wooden vivs, and we place the lighting (soon to be switched to a megaray flood uv bulb) and the heating (CHE) inside the tank. The smaller dragons have heating and lighting through the mesh lids of their tanks, and the smallest tank we have, which still provides a temp gradient, is 2' x 1' x 1'. The largest viv is 6'x 2' x 2.5'. :)

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Here is three of my enclosures. I have 1 more like the bigger one.

[​IMG]

4. Mark

Mark Elite Member

First two responses were from the ones I most wanted to reply, thanks ladies.

Venus, how often do you find that yours utilize the vertical space you provide? Having read that they are mainly terrestrial I am struck with how many cages I have seen pics of where ample climbing toys are provided. As I start designing should I push the top up to the three or four foot level or is it not worth it -- I am thinking about a base about 4' by 2'?

Mark

5. Bitis Gabonica

Regarding height - we only have 2.5' of height for our trio of adults, two of them utilise the space well.. the male and one of the females love it up on the highest branch, i've included a pic. The other female prefers the ground, and will venture to the first branch a little. I don't like it too high, for the pure fact that our male already throws himself from the top branch when he gets an urge to chase and "impress" the females :p He does himself enough damage, i wouldn't trust him with any more height! :p

Our other adult female doesn't use her climbing branches much, I find the babies tend to climb and spend time off the ground more so than the adults. :)

Attached Files:

6. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

7. Mark

Mark Elite Member

How well do you like the sliding glass front? If you were to replace the cage would you opt for that type of entry again? I can only envision using them but I see that they would get in the way as only 1/2 the cage is easily assessable at once.

At the same time I ask these questions I am wondering if I would be able to adapt my PVC iguana cage design to the needs of a bearded dragon... This zip open clear front is so convenient.

----

Along the same lines do BDs spray salt all over the cage like igs? By no means is this a deciding factor but I have not seen this addressed.

8. Bitis Gabonica

I like the front glass sliding doors - we have 4 on our largest tank, to provide extra support and sturdiness. It doesn't prevent access or prohibit reaching areas of the tank, although we made it a little tight so we can't remove the doors for cleaning, which doesn't make it impossible, but a little more difficult :p

I think the lizards prefer it too - they feel less threatened being approached on a same level, and can see out - the kickers that support the glass are just low enough at the bottom that the dragons can climb out when they see the tweezers baring worms :D I wouldn't change anything I don't think.. although I love your ig enclosure - ingenious! :)

9. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

I prefer the sliding glass in the front, that way i dont have to hang over the top of the cages that are up high. and its not so bad haveing only one half open at a time becuase you can reach most of the other side still. Farenth my younger female is the only one that reall likes to get up on top of her hide and branches

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nope, no snalting with the beardies!

11. Mark

Mark Elite Member

No snalting. Whoa there goes daily wall cleaning -- will anyone miss that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.