This Disappears When Logged In

Enclosure

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by pjrojo, Feb 5, 2012.

1. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

Hello all, hope all is well, I've a hobbyist for a few years with backgrounds in Ball Pythons, Corn Snakes, Lizards and Poison Dart Frogs, I'm ready to upgrade myself to a Green Tree Python (Biak), I'm hoping to make a purchase at the upcoming NARBC show here in Texas on 02/11 or if I have to I'll order over the internet, I would like to get some polite, educated feedback on the following...

I'm trying to figure out what size enclosure to set up for the GTP so that it'll have a comfortable place to live for a while 'til it gets bigger, I have seen/read that a 12wx12dx12h would work for a young GTP but I'm thinking more of a 12wx12dx18h vivarium type set up that is pretty close to my PDG vivarium but not as 'wet' with live plants, one of those Exo Terra waterfall type things, a fogger, full spectrum light, a heat light and of course lots of branches, I might make one of those PVC jungle gyms...

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Well let me try this one. I have used both and I just moved my yearling into a 12x12x18. When I first got him from the breeder that was it's original home but it was stressing him out. He was use to being in a tub so I had to move him back to one. Ask how he was house because babies can be very sensitive. I used the 12x12x12 for a while after the tub and that helped him adjust better. He's around 31" and did fine in it due to their more "relax' nature. He has more room now and I believe that'll be okay for another while now.

Also be aware that lights in a cage that small can overheat it very quickly. I moved over to the zoomed UTHs and I use one on the bottom and one on the side. They're both 8 watt and have done great keeping my temps and humidity where they need to be. I also have plexi glass over the screen top for humidity. I cut to fit and have placed lights on top there. Also just 8 watt. The bottom UTH does great for humidity, it turns on in the mornings and raises humidity slowly but to the requirements. My temps are in the mid 80s with a hot spot next to the heat pad and humidity is between 70ish and mid 80s. Hope that helps...

3. pjrojo

Thanks for the info that helps a ton and great point on the lighting/heating, As far as the UTH how thick is your substrate, Since I'm thinking about live plants my substrate will be a little thick but placing on the side would be good, If I understood you I need ask the breeder how the snake was/is housed, Based on your pet a 12x12x12 would be okay to set up for a 'baby' GTP

While I have you quick question, I think I read on here that you purchased your pet from Ben Siegel Reptiles, If I don't find a GTP at the trade show I'm going to a week from yesterday, I was thinking about using Ben Siegel Reptiles, Do you have any thoughts about them one way or the other...

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

A couple of things: GTPs do not need very HIGH terrariums, and you can get a good heat gradient with rectangular forms, IMO. Although they seem to just sit in one spot all day, they do like to move around at night. Especially males will use every inch of the space they get to explore! Females will usually have a favorite sleeping spot and move to a different favorite hunting spot at night and go back and forth between those.
    Our enclosures for one adult GTP are 40"x28"x28" (LWH) and they love them and use the space!

When you say heat "light" do you mean a ceramic heat emitter? Lights have to go off at night, so you need something to keep the snake warm. Be sure to cover a CHE or any light or heat source that gets hot with some type of protective cage or screen: the snakes WILL wrap around it if they can and burn themselves!!
    We use PRO HEAT panels in our tanks: they don't take up a lot of space, look nice and the snakes cannot burn themselves on it.

Although they look neat, I do not recommend a fogger: it cools the air too much and unless you keep it super super clean, those things can breed bacteria quickly. Daily misting with a spray bottle is easier and cheaper.

Here is a link to my GTP terrarium building tutorial: Duplex Terrarium - Enclosure Plans
    (just for ideas, I don't really expect anyone to go out and build one of these!)

5. pjrojo

Thanks BlackJack good info, I have read and heard that a longer enclosure is better but the GTP still needs a little bit of a high enclosure, Later on as my soon to be purchased pet gets bigger I will either make it a custom enclosure or move him/her to an Exo Terra 36Wx18Dx24H or 36Wx18Dx36H but since the GTP I'm getting will be less than a year old (I hope/think) and on the small'ish side I'm looking to see if he/she will feel safe in a 12Wx12Dx12H or 12Wx12Dx18H, I am crazy enough to build something close to what they/you did in those links (thanks for sharing)

Heating in this small enclosure will be supplied via ceramic and doom and in no way will the animal have access to touch it and I will use UTH pads too, At night I use a red or black bulb to pull the temp down and so I can see my pet at night, I used this with my Ball Pythons, It sounds like I will hand mist or tie this enclosure to my PDF misting system but set the misting time and amount to fit the GTP needs

6. BlackJack

You will not need a CHE AND an undertank heater!! Don't heat from the bottom! Just go with the CHE and hook it up to a good quality thermostat to regulate the temps. The 12Wx12Dx18H would be fine and the temperature gradient will be from top to bottom: You want to give your little guy a choice of perches at the warmest top perch to the cooler bottom perches and at least one in between. Just make sure you measure the temperature about an inch ABOVE the highest perch to account for the snake coiled up there.
    We have 2 of our little ones set up in small glass tanks inside the larger Polycarbonate terrarium that is heated from above:
    397908661.jpg

I just made a ladder out of scorched PVC plumbing pipes and angled it inside: there is a temperature probe just above the topmost perch and another probe on the lowest. The only heat source here is a heatpanel above the glass tank and it's plenty.
    397908660.jpg

Soon they'll be big enough to take out the glass tank and just use the polycarbonate duplex for juveniles (we made this one out of left over material from the larger duplexes).:
    348652740.jpg

Attached Files:

7. JoeyG

I did recently purchase from them. I have yet to receive my GTP due to weather for shipping being too cold here. So far my experince with them has been a good one and they have responded to my questions and request quickly. I've also heard good things about them from some other people so I choose them. I'll let you know how it all eventually turns out.

As for using the UTH on the bottom I have about 1" of substrate. I use it because it raises me humidity more then anything else during the day. The main heat comes from the side one. I would take everything Andrea says and wright it down too :) I have a heat panel I got for those cages but again they are too small and overheat very quickly! A good thermastat that turns it off must be installed with it. I chose to move mine over to the adults cage instead. Depending on your set you just have to play around with it for a while until you find what works for you. Just have everything set up just right before you bring one home. I usually have my enclosures running a week or so before moving anyone around. Once you get the hang of it, it's not hard at all. Good luck and let us know how it's going or if you have any other question. As our forum expert on GTPs I differ anything I don't know to Andrea, she keeps me straight :)

8. BlackJack

Thanks Joey. :) But I've gotten all of my know-how from Greg Maxwell's book (and a few other German writers' books) and time and experience.
    Also there are REAL EXPERTS on Morelia Viridis Forum: Morelia Viridis Forum Forum

9. pjrojo

Joey and Andrea thanks a ton for your help and advise, After reading y'alls input and doing other research I'm going to be waiting for the doors to open up at the NARBC show on Saturday and pound the Reps with Select Captive Bred with GTP questions, I will keep y'all posted as to what happens with GTP, I'll be posting pictures of my upgraded PDF Exo Terra 24Lx18Dx36H vivarium next week, I sure hope the people in the PDF forum on here are as helpful and cool as the GTP people, I haven't posted anything in the PDF forum yet

10. JoeyG

Everyone at HC is pretty friendly and helpful. I look forward to pics of anything you might aquire at the show. I also have to warn you that once you buy one you seem to get hooked and you wont stop there :) They haven't even shipped my 3rd one yet but I got an offer for one that I'm thinking of accepting ;)

Andrea- I feel its my resposibility to tell you that in this forum you are our expert :) I checked the others one out already and yes they are very knowledgeble but I like HC. I accept help from several forums and that seems to work well for me. Takes a village to raise a GTP :)

11. pjrojo

I agree so far HC is the best forum I've seen and I'm glad I happened upon this site, I know what you're saying about getting hooked, I've been hooked for years with Ball Pythons, Corns, Lizards, PDF, African Cichilds (fish) and had a Double Yellow Headed Amazon Parrot and I'm picking up a 12x12x18 tomorrow I find on Craigslist just because it was a good deal but I don't have anything to put in it YET!!!!

12. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

It's probably very obvious, but what does PDF mean?

13. pjrojo

PDF = Poison Dart Frog