This Disappears When Logged In

Enclosure sizes??

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by MichaelW, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelW

MichaelW Member

Hi there was wondering, for the Water Dragon I am getting do ya think a 150-200 gallon enclosure would be too big, I have heard that you shouldnt have the enclosure too big when they are little but I guess I could make it with a partition in the middle, then as he gets bigger remove the partition. I have heard they only need a 100 gallon enclosure I'd like to know wat your recommendations are and also if you think I should simulate four seasons as well day and night

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Hey :)

We don't work in gallons over here - what kind of measurements is the tank?

I'm not a water dragon expert, but generally you don't want to house a young lizard in something too big - it might stress it out, and will make it difficult for it to catch its food if you feed it in the tank, it will also make it difficult for you to get him out :D If you feel the tank is too big you can put a divider in there, as you suggested, which saves you money and means you can gradually increase the enclosure size as your WD grows.

Regarding the season-changes,. they are not neccessary unless you want to breed, although you may find that your WD naturally reacts to the seasons anyway. You shouldn't simulate winter temperatures and photoperiod unless the dragon is older, as it may decrease their appetite and you need your lizard to be of optimum weight before doing this, however if it happens naturally there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Hope this helps a little. :)

3. Stacy

Stacy Member

If you haven't purchased your WD enclosure yet you are better off making one out of wood. Water Dragons don't do well with glass. They are snout rubbers and seem to have no concept of the glass and it's boundries. If you haven't looked at tricia's site yet it has the best info anywhere. She is the WD expert and does post here too as DragonDen I believe.

check it out http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/

4. MichaelW

MichaelW Member

Do you measure in metres or feet? If the standard enclosure measures 2 metres long I'll make mine 3.5 metres, for height I am unsure yet, I no water dragons like to climb so it will be reasonably tall, was thinking about making the enclosure from 38mm MDF all round except for the front which I will make glass. I have been to Tricias site your right it is an excellent resource, there are not too many people in NZ who own one of these and the ones that do arent very good truth be told. Thanks for the tips. I am drawing the plans of the proposed enclosure tonight and will post them when they are done for comment

5. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

I A 150 G tank is about 5 feet long and 40 inches high and I think a foot and a half wide

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.