This Disappears When Logged In

Enclosure Size?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Jul 29, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

Alright, so, first things first. We took Finny back to the rescue, which seems like a much better place for her than here. She'll also be used as an educational animal and won't be adopted out again. She's in good hands. c:

Second, the very-nice owner suggested a ball python that was at the rescue for us, as I mentioned I wanted to hold one. He's a male Lesser Platinum named Moses, and he's friendly and adorable. Even better, they would let us take him and his tank for free (they felt bad that we had to bring Finny back to rescue and that she was having problems)!

Now I'll get to the point: The enclosure they have him living in is a 2-foot long x 1.5-foot wide Exo Terra. His tank seems a little small to me, but maybe that's because I have Kellogg in a 3-foot long enclosure. So is Moses' enclosure large enough for him his whole life? Moses is only about 3 feet long and if I remember correctly, is an adult.

I assume it would be because breeders have some of their snakes living in small tubs their whole lives, but what do you think?

2. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

My ball python is kept in a 40 breeder. I don't think I could imagine keeping one in anything smaller. I don't think a 2 foot long enclosures will enable you to have a decent heating gradient. I've also found it to work really good to have a larger cage so you can have a decent size water dish on each side so you can keep the humidity up. Since I've put a large water dish on the warm side it has got the humidity right on the spot with some healthy sheds. Hope this helps.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

That cage will be OK for now, it really ally depends on how big he eventually gets, as they never really stop growing. BPs tend to be fairly inactive snakes most of the time, preferring to remain hidden for the most part unless they get really hungry. There are exceptions of course, but having housed some in larger cages most I've had rarely used the space they were given. I am one of those who uses racks, and generally I keep the females in 41qt tubs, and my males in 32 or 41qt tubs depending on their size, with most being in the 32qt size.