This Disappears When Logged In

Enclosure Help For Recently Adopted Iguana

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Pkimble93, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Pkimble93

Pkimble93 New Member

I've recently adopted an iguana who came with a 75 gallon aquarium. The second i got to their home it was clear the people I got him from knew practically nothing nothing about proper care of an iguana. He is supposedly 6 months and nearly 3 feet long. His enclosure is only 2 feet tall so he has no room to climb and go about his natural behavior. I was wondering if I could turn the 75 gallon on its side to make it 4 foot tall. It has a plastic frame on both top and bottom. If it is possible how would I go about doing it to make the open top into a front opening? See picture for current habitat
    Ps. This is only temporary until I can build or find him a larger more suitable option

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would leave it as it is and get building an adult sized enclosure. No matter what you do with that tank it isn't suitable.

Pkimble93 likes this.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it looks as though there`s a screen top, you need to cover that as completely as possible in order to stabilise the temps and humidity (kitchen foil will work temporarily). I would remove the hammock, it`s useless as a basking object because it won`t hold any heat. How are you measuring the ambient (air) temps and the basking surface temp plus the humidity range? I do agree the lizard needs a much more suitable enclosure, but I think you can make the fishtank last a few weeks (at most) in order to give you time to do that.
    What type and wattage are the heat and (UVB?) bulbs?