This Disappears When Logged In

Enclosure Advice

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by BBQGuy16, Jan 24, 2016.

1. BBQGuy16

BBQGuy16 New Member

I have 2 pythons right now and I am looking to switch the tanks they live in out for a enclosure that has a sliding front glass. My ball python is about 4 ft and my carpet is about 5 1/2 ft. They are currently in a 50 gal long and a 30 gal tall tanks. I see animal plastics has a sale right now on some of their enclosures. I'm not wanting to break the bank, but with my snakes getting bigger I would like something easier to handle them with. Suggestions???

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

My advice, if you can't buld what you want yourself, spend the cash for the AP enclosures. I typically build my own enclosures anyway, and I'm still tempted to buy from them, to save myself the work. No, they are not cheap, but from everything I have seen you will be getting a very nice setup for the money. And if needed, you could always buy one cage now and get the other the next time they have a sale.
    Edit: I should have added that they will be a far better cage than any tank setup.

Kristof likes this.
  3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. If you have the know-how and time then go ahead and build your own to the exact specs that work for you.
    I can't recall the last time I bought one. But making them seems to take forever. Small garage, currently making 2- 4ft enclosures with a base takes up a heck of a lot of room.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I went to Lowes, bought 1/2" plywood, and got them to cut the sheets to the sizes I needed for my enclosures. I'm building 2'x4'x18" so I can stack them 4 high in the basement, would have gone 2' tall but the ceiling height won't allow that. Also found 1"x2"x4' poplar that's perfect for the sliding glass tracks, just use a table saw to route out the slots for the glass to slide in. Here's a pic of one corner with the wooden track and glass:
    P1060716_zpsilcd44hz.jpg
    Drill 1/8" pilot holes and then use drywall screws to secure the box, though I also used wood glue before screwing it together. The glass runners are simply glued into place, then the whole thing painted and/or sealed with polycrylic before putting in the glass. I'm using 3/16" plate glass, with the edges sanded smooth. You don't want sharp edges on your sliders.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Only thing I would change on that build would be to use a 1x4 for the bottom to create a substrate dam, unless you never plan to use any loose substrate.

6. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Ya, I figured that out after the first one, lol. It was the test build to work out the details, I picked up some 1"x2"x4' pine to raise the lower sliding glass tracks on the rest. Would be fine with paper substrate, will eventually use that one for a colubrid, but I use cypress mulch for humidity with the boas and pythons. I put 4 round plastic 2" vents on each end, bottom one one side and top on the uther, to help with air circulation. An 80w RHP and an ultratherm heat mat are connected to a herpstat 4 to regulate temps. Seems to be working out well enough aside from the cypress that gets into the lower track. Not sure if I actually need 8 of the 2" vents in each enclosure, thinking 6 should be enough.

7. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Looks good, be sure to keep us updated. :) @toddnbecka