This Disappears When Logged In

Empty Tank, Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by KoiTheBallPython, Mar 19, 2017.

1. My ball python will soon be outgrowing her 20 gal. tank and, me being totally obsessed with reptiles and amphibians, want to be able to get a new reptile/amphibian to inhabit her old tank.

I don't want to get something as simple and common as a leopard gecko but I'm not seeing a lot of options. (as in anything that could stay small enough and live happily in a 20 gal.)

Anybody have any ideas? <---------

I wouldn't purchase any animal I don't think I could handle. I'm also against impulsively buying unless you have the proper knowledge for how to care for it. Whenever I look to buy a new pet I spend a lot of time researching and know what I'm getting myself into. I've worked at exotic wildlife sanctuaries so I have much experience with many different reptiles.

I thought about red-eyed crocodile skinks but I'd like to be able to handle it frequently instead of observe, so I don't know.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

You could turn the tank vertical and happily house a pair of giant day geckos. Not much of a handling species but cool watch and active during the day.

4. You think that could work? I thought about turning it vertical but it's not exactly built for that. I also thought about possibly trading with one of my close friends for their vertical tank.

5. Jsilverback64

It will work for sure. Just put a piece of glass or plexi along the new front bottom to hold in any substrate. I've done it many times with many different size enclosures.

6. Thanks so much! I'll probably end up doing that then.

7. Nicolerage

Nicolerage Member

I keep day geckos and a 20gal tank seems a little cramped. I keep mine in a 45gal tank so they have plenty of space since they're active and like running around

8. Jsilverback64

Key is turning it vertical. It gives them more arboreal space. They aren't a terrestrial species so even turnthing the 45 vertical would be a benefit in height.