This Disappears When Logged In

Empty 50 Gallon

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Yellowfang15, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

I have an empty 50 gallon breeder (aka long) tank laying around. $600 dollars and a birthday means a new reptile is in the future. I need some suggestions.

• No Snakes
    • No Bearded Dragons

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

My honest opinion would be sell the tank and use all that money to build a decent cage for whatever you decide you want. The biggest cost with most herps is the habitat, not the animal itself, so it might be better to get an idea of what might interest you, and see if your budget will allow for the proper caging as well as purchasing the animal.
    So let's see, maybe an Indian star tortoise, usually around 500, which would leave you with 100 to build a nice tortoise table. There are other less expensive smaller tortoise species too. Or maybe some turtles if your willing to provide larger accommodations later. Then you could make some use of the 50gal.

3. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

Wonderful idea, thank you, but I like to make use of everything I have.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

What are the dimensions on the 50? I ask because you said breeder then you said long. That's 2 different tanks, and most reptiles will outgrow a long version due to them being only 12" wide. Maybe a few pink belly sidenecks or some similar smaller aquatic turtle.

5. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Sorry this is old but if the tank is still empty I have a spiny softshell turtle that needs a new home. Your tank sounds perfect. If you are interested, check out my thread: Spiny Softshell needs new home