This Disappears When Logged In

Emperor Scorpion

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by LovetheBaruu, May 25, 2009.

1. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Does anybody currently own an Emperor Scorpion or have any experience they would like to share? I don't understand the need to have one but hate to dismiss the desire to own one because of my own ignorance!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know they are the most commonly available scorp in the trade, and their venom is weak, an no more hazardous than a bee sting. They eat crickets and other inverts, and molt their exoskeleton, and carry their babies until their first molt, But there my knowledge ends. I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

3. LovetheBaruu

I also understand that the adults don't use their stingers much, mostly their claws. The females will, given the chance, eat the males after mating. I found some caresheets and info concerning the over collecting in the wild. We would have to find captive breed... What am I saying?? I was just curious, I need a year or two to recover and stabilize our current crew!

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I currently have 2 Emperor's, they both share a 20gal long tank, with plenty of hiding places,but seem to like burrowing under their water dish together the most :) they are fun critters to watch,I don't handle them too often, but neither has tried to sting me, I have been pinched a couple of times, but nothing major. What else would you like to know?

5. LovetheBaruu

Any specific issues? Health concerns? Are they challenging to keep healthy? Are they actually any fun to have?

6. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

no issues at all regarding keeping or health. easy to keep, no mess, no noise, no smell. they are great little hunters, eating crickets and mealworms, I have tried pinky mice but neither seem interested. As for "fun" they don't "do" anything funny but they are neat to watch at night time.

7. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

yeah I love watching them hunt. you have to be into watching nature at its best i think its fun, plus they're great to show off to people.

8. LovetheBaruu

We decided that, since it is the only thing he is asking for, Jonathan could get an Emperor for his birthday. Got the tank all set up (I can be sneaky) and took him to the show today. We checked everything out, even looked for a girlfriend for Skif. As we were leaving I said, "Why don't you go pick out a scorpion?" He was so happy! He took his time choosing and asked a lot of questions. He continued to discuss details of care and experiences with the dealer (remember this kid isn't even 9 until next month) and the dealer gave him a second scorpion for free saying, "I really like you! Go ahead and take a second one as a gift from me." I am (not) over-joyed.

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Aw that's so cool ! really having two isn't any more work, just make sure they have plenty of hiding spots to get out of each others way and plenty of food at feeding time, I put in more than I know they will consume, that way they don't fight. I use a cramic tile in one corner, they burrow under that and the water dish, 1/2 log hide, fake plants etc.
    Good luck with them, just hope you got same sexes LOL

10. LovetheBaruu

:eek: Goodness! Why didn't I think of that?? Guess we are off to buy another tank!

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

2 for the price of 1. WHAT A GREAT DEAL!!![​IMG]

12. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Not scorpions but since you bought 1 and got 1 free I thought I'd post this ;)

[​IMG]

14. LovetheBaruu

Steve has a new trick- careful you may loose your status as a TI! I signed Jonathan up on a forum for arachnids, we have been exploring the facts and fiction about them for weeks. ;)

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL Kelly, that'll never happen. It's all just copy and paste so even at TI can do it ;)

16. LovetheBaruu

He has named them!! Zeus and Zach, what a funny kid.:)

17. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

awesome, post pics!! when are you going to hold them? LOL mine are handled bi-weekly, for cleaning purposes, and they also get out for educational programs, next one will be in July at the Museum of Science and Technology(MOST) Vertebrates and Invertebrates, of course this will be a look but don't touch program :)

18. LovetheBaruu

We have decided to start holding them the day after never! LOL With two 3 y/o boys that have a beastly case of, 'monkey see, monkey do' we have chosen to wait until we have plenty of anti-histamine on hand (just watch, the sting is not bad but the allergic reaction is uh, profound!).

Attached Files:

19. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Nice pics, they look nice and fat!
    Come on over, you can cuddle with mine anytime LOL

20. venus

venus Founding Member

You can't go wrong Kelly, they are super easy to care for.