This Disappears When Logged In

Emperor Scorpion Babies Need Homes!

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by discordia, Jul 1, 2011.

1. discordia

discordia Member

I have some newly born Emperor scorp babies that need homes. I'm only asking $5 for each. They're about 2 weeks old now, about an inch long, and 1 or 2 of them are just starting to turn a little tan/brown. If you don't know, they're almost completely transparent/milky white when born. There are about 10 of them. If you or anyone else is interested, please let me know. I live in San Marcos and you'd have to pick them up from me.
    Thanks!

2. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

too bad its pick up only. i had an asian forest scorp that gave birth to around 20 babies, one of which survived and i had him for 5 years after the mom for 4. the otehr babies were killed by the mom or crushed by rocks, so make sure you seperate the babies. again, if you could somehow ship them i would take a couple or a few.

3. discordia

discordia Member

I'm honestly not even sure how to ship them. I could, if you are interested. I'll just have to figure it out. It'll really depend on how much it would cost and how likely they'd be to live through it.
    And yeah, I've always had the female kill the babies the same or next day, but this mom was super protective. They were actually in her cage this entire time, and they're doing great. They've kind of established their own little hollowed out area under the water bowl. :p They're about to be separated.

4. discordia

discordia Member

So far I'm striking out on the shipping part. I can't find a single company that will ship something like scorpions. UPS won't, USPS won't, FedEx won't. I'm loathe to ship them simply labeled "fragile".

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Don't know if they will do it, but check with Ship Your Reptiles. If someone will ship, odds are they would know who would do it.

6. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

i would love to have themj if you could figure out shipping, i know ups does all my reptile shipping, and they are all just labelled live animal fragile. pm me if you can figure out a way, thanks.

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Weird..I know people have shipped scorpions before, not sure what service they use. Maybe they just did it sneakily
    How to Ship Scorpions - TheInverts this is a tutorial on the process of packing the thing..

It doesn't go against the rules on ship your reptiles, and in fact they mention spiders on the website

On their policies page in mentions "Use a deli cup for small, delicate animals. The more delicate the animal, the more it needs the structure of the deli cup. Use a deli cup for small reptiles including geckos and lizards (less than 1" x 16") as well as for frogs, spiders and other delicate creatures."

What you cannot ship with ship your reptiles:
    "You cannot ship illegal drugs, batteries, liquor, aerosols, firearms and ammunition, fireworks, explosives, mammals (no dogs, no cats), birds, dry ice and absolutely no venomous reptiles.

ShipYourReptiles.com is approved for the shipping of live non venomous reptiles, including snakes, to business and residential addresses."

You can call to be sure, and shipping through them would mean you get the "okay" from fedex as long as all the rules are followed on how to ship the animal safely!

8. discordia

discordia Member

Yeah, I think most just don't say there are venomous pets inside. Since scorps are venomous, most shipping companies will refuse to ship them. USPS claims they'll only ship them if they're for medical or research purposes and they must be triple boxed. I guess I could just ship them and put the live animals tag on it, or just fragile. I read a ton of forum posts about it and people apparently do it all the time and have no problems. I read on a few sites that sell scorps that they ship them through FedEx. I'll probably try UPS.
    I'll call around tomorrow to check shipping rates and then I'll PM you, Reed22.
    Btw, thanks for the help you two! :D

9. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

I'd be careful with our temps and shipping. I've not had very good luck with people shipping feeder insects to our area w/o costing almost a fortune.

I love looking at scorpions, but have a full zoo right now.

Good luck

10. discordia

discordia Member

Thanks for the advice, that's another concern I had with shipping, which is why I prefer pickup. First, I don't have to deal with figuring out a shipping method, second, I don't have to deal with figuring out a payment method, and last, I don't have to deal with temps. :p

By the way, I still have 8 more scorp babies, if anyone is interested. Let me know. These are the babies that're already being taken.
    10gd3xw.jpg
    Here are 2 pictures of some of the babies with their parents and one of the older babies from a while back. They're hard to see against the brown bedding.
    oichon.jpg
    24wrozo.jpg

Attached Files:

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

make sure they are completely feeding on their own before sending them off :)
    I love how mom takes care of the babies!

12. discordia

discordia Member

They are definitely feeding on their own. :) and in the past, I've seem them(not these exact scorps; other emperors) have babies and then eat them a day or two later. This mom, however, is super protective. The other two in the tank with them were also fairly protective. :)

13. discordia

discordia Member

By the way, does anyone know of another way to do payment other than PayPal? I've never sold anything over the net before unless it was through eBay, so this is new to me.