This Disappears When Logged In

Emergency!

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by atone2308, Apr 2, 2013.

1. atone2308

atone2308 Well-Known Member

ok so i think my ETB has a Respiratory Infection i had her out just now and i see that she opens her mouth at times and a weezing sound! i just started to have the humid. to 80% at night and 86% daytime. never noticed anything wrong b4 when i had it 75% nighttime 85% daytime... what could be the prob? and how do i correct it! PLZ HELP!

also water is changed every 2days, she is in shed right now but ate just only 8days ago, she held it down. she pooped yesterday so when i noticed i changed the water it was in washed the tub out really really good! so i doint no what caused it other then the humid beeing kept too high. when i had it 75% nighttime and 85%daytime never noticed anything wrong. so humid too high can cause a Respiratory Infection??

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures? Improper heat is more often the culprit than humidity.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You need a reptile vet for the respiratory infection. It needs antibiotics. Anything else doesn't really fix it. Can't help with proper temps and humidity. Just read caresheets. Respiratory infection is usually caused by too low of temps. If your not measuring with a temp gun or digital thermometer with probe your temps are as much as 10-15 degrees off.

4. atone2308

i have 2 temp gages and 2 humid gages in the cage 1 on cool side 1 on hot side just near the perch she rest on daily. they both r digital

well i just lolwed the fogger to 50% and jacking the heat up to around 90degree normal is 82 with hot spot of 88-90 so i making the hot side 90 and the kool side will be 8-12degree lower then that if not a little more, she moves to different spots all the time so i know the set-up is good. just changed up the humid after talking with joeyg. from what i could tell everything was fine b4 but i do hear and after reading high humid. can cause a R.I also just like the temps bein wrong

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Temps should be at 85 basking spot. Ambient 80-82; nightime cannot drop below 75. Above you only mentioned the humidity I believe. Triple check temps.

How long have you had her? If only a short time, she may have had it before you got her, during shipping, etc to give some ideas.

Edit, don't lower humidity. It needs to stay at normal. I know it don't make sense but trust me.

6. atone2308

yea sorry running around her with my head cut off,lol i have a total of 2 temp gages, and 2 humid gages in cage. 1 of each on the kool side, 1 of each on the hott side(just near her fav. perch) i have had her prob 2 months. used to handle her often so i would have noticed if she had a R.I before. she has eatin 3 times and pooped 1st time last night.

she is captive bred/born baby. she still is red in color and like i say i mean she was fine until i changed up the humid. on her now i notice she has mouth open and a weezing sound.. doint see bubbles from mouth or anything yet. so i doint know if it just began or been ongoing for few days or what!

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I was told that it can happen with no signs or symptoms.

My burm Chiquita had a RI when we got her from the rescue. I know his temps are good as he had a controlled room and made adjustments from there. We got her and I noticed fluids, wheezing, etc. He looked her over when we were getting her out of his enclosure to the transport bin. No signs. Less than 2 hours later, I noticed fluid. Hour after that bubbles, so on and so on. How she got it, no idea. We treated her, I triple checked humidity and temps and she's good to go. Still haven't eaten but 8ish shots every few days, stress of a move and new house, etc will do that.

Hope that helps.

** I'm in no way a substitute for a vet. And I looked at the pic in your profile, she's adorable.

8. atone2308

thankyou! so u had to go get her shots? just asking because whatever needs to be done i need to do it within the next 24hours or so

see thats why im confused u say doint and this says do..... not saying your wrong but now u see what im saying.....grrrrrrr! lol What to do: First of all, understand that reptiles can
    not sneeze or cough well enough to clear the trachea so breaking up all of the congestion right away with high humidity
    will probably drown them or at best, cause pneumonia. So with a severe Respiratory infection, do NOT raise humidity at
    this time to break it up like you would for yourself. DO however, raise the heat to
    a maximum allowable setting for your particular species. Most Boas and Pythons with
    an R.I. should be kept at a steady 90-92 degrees with low humidity until the wheezing
    stops 24/7 which will require a nighttime heat bulb or ceramic heat emitter to allow
    proper photo periods. If the animal regurgitates, do not attempt feeding again just yet
    but encourage fluids. If any dehydration is apparent, use Pedialyte instead of
    water. Once the wheezing or clicking stops, you can bring the humidity back up and lower
    the temps a bit and resume day/night heat schedules. Very often, this is all that
    needs to be done and they can recover but if symptoms continue for over a week, you will
    need to see a Vet about some antibiotics.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I'm not saying raise humidity, but merely keep it at what it should be at. Yes, I give antibiotics and go to vets.

10. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

SOMETIMES a snake can wheeze when in shed. I have had a friend, and talked to a few other snake owners that had this happen. Always play it safe and get a professional (vet) to take a look.

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I told you your temps were too low the first time we spoke. You need higher humidity but your night time temps should not be dropping below 80 for a baby. This is another problem with the size of your current enclosure for a baby. the neonate I currently have has not seen humidity below 80s nor the temp ever below 80 degrees. If you spray it directly don't use cold or even warm water. Use hot water because it cools enough in the air. if you even suspect and RI then contact a herp Vet and have her treated. At this age she wont last long! Also join atleast MVF forum since they also do ETB, good luck

12. Merlin

Your information is out dated. At one time it was believed that lowering the humidity was the way to go to treat a RI! Then it was realized that by lowering the humidity it was stressing the lungs out by desiccation. These animal evolved to live in a certain humidity and temperature range.

13. atone2308

ok thankyou! also i have a vet visit tomorrow guys! so help me pray! :) ill keep you all up to date! anyways thanks for all the help!

tomorrow she heads to the vet! yea i know you told me temps were to low, so i raised them and noticed now she is weezing, not saying you caused it at all! just maybe getting it right now made her show more signs of the R.I she already had. so vet will take care of it tomorrow 345pm east time:)

also funny u said that, she still has some skin on her head around her kneck from a bad shed soked her in warm water for about 20min last night help get a little off, now going to wait on the vet visit tomorrow as i doint want to stress her anymore then she already is

14. Merlin

Raising the temps did not cause the RI. The lower temps likely set it off and it took time to develop. They don't get it and immediately start wheezing.