This Disappears When Logged In

Emergency: Mangled Tail!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by CrazedHoosier, Oct 6, 2017.

1. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Active Member

Today, my sister got her first crested gecko. I would say that it's a great day, but the gecko has a major issue. Half of his tail seems paralyzed, dry, and frankly, dead. It's a very dark color compared to the rest, and he cannot move it at all. The skin on the mangled part is coming off as well. He is a healthy and beautiful gecko, other than that part. He doesn't sit on the floor of his tank, he freaks out when touched (as a baby crested should). He's 4.5 grams, so he's still tiny. I've heard the tail could be necrotic, and apparently, that means it could be fatal. Any help would be great; it just needs to be quick.

(Zoom into tail to see damage)

Attached Files:

2. CrazedHoosier

Here are a couple more:

Attached Files:

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Looks like an infection. I would pull the tail off. They don't need their tails and many prefer them without it, some say it's even healthier for the animal to lose its tail. It won't grow back though.

4. AmityReptiles

Oh and by "pull the tail off" that was poor Choice of words... you don't want to go yanking on the tail obviously, just try and get him to drop it...
    lol sorry it's late here

5. CrazedHoosier

I sort of figured I'd probably end up making him have to drop it. What is the least stressful way to do that? I know I'm going to be stressed if he gets stressed...

6. AmityReptiles

I think it has to be a stress event no matter how you do it... I've seen people in your situation hold the tail firmly and apply pressure near the base of the tail, and let the gecko pull away and drop it on their own. It's important they do it, because there is a mechanism they enact to prevent blood loss.
    Not sure if this is the best way, but it seems to be the least stressful (to me atleast).

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Normally I wouldn't suggest that but I'm gonna agree with Amity on this one, that tail needs to go and for a different species I'd suggest a vet visit, however with one as keen to drop it's tail as a crestie you might be better off doing it yourself.
    The stump where the tail is dropped should be pink and there shouldn't be much if any blood when it drops. Keep it clean and watch for signs of infection.

8. CrazedHoosier

Alright, I'll do it in a couple of hours. Is there any preparing needed? Should I apply some type of medication to the wound after the tail is separated?

9. AmityReptiles

Not sure if necessary, because the wound shouldn't be bad, but you can use paper towel substrate for a couple days if you want to be safe, I don't know if I would use medications or any disinfectants because I wouldn't want to delay the natural healing of the tail. (Personal opinion though!)

10. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I would just let it heal naturally once the tail is off unless of course you see that it doesn't start to heal/it gets worse
    If you aren't already I agree it'd be good to switch to paper towels for a little while to keep it clean

11. CrazedHoosier

Update: I removed his tail successfully! There was very little blood, and very little stress! He is doing fantastic, and acting normal! Also, I returned to the pet store (Petco) in which my sister got him from, and someone had taken the tails off of the cresteds he was with. Very strange. Anyway, here are some pics:

Attached Files:

12. AmityReptiles

Nice! Looks very good from the pics. Good job and good health to the gecko!

13. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Glad this turned out OK!