This Disappears When Logged In

EMERGENCY!!!!!Badly Hurt Wild Garter

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by yzfracer347, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

My neighbor informed me there was a snake outside, so I caught this 2.5-3 ft garter snake from the street at my house in FL. It looks like he was run over or dropped by one of the many large predatory birds around my house. He has some pretty bad flesh wounds, what can i do to help him make it? He's in a 10 gal with water and a light right now. Thanks. I don't have a camera right now but ill post some pics as soon as I can. Wish him luck.

2. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

hmmm hard to tell without pics to show the wounds extent. If it was run over and damaged vital organs it will not make it...but as for the flesh wounds you can aplly neosporin or anything to that effect to help prevent infection.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

for the flesh wounds, apply neosporin (NOT the kind with pain killers) and keep clean. There isn't anything you can do for internal damage, other than to wait and see if he will pull through.

10 gallon sounds kinda small, do you have a spare 20?

4. Ollie

Ollie Elite Member

i dont have a 20 for him, but if i actually kept him i would definately move him into somthing bigger,the chances of me keepin him are small though since i doubt he will eat mice even if he does make it,i just figured a 10 gallon in my house was better than the street outside my apartment complex

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I hope everything works out for the snake ...

6. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

garter snakes dont eat mice,

go outside and catch some anoles..or...those little treefrogs that come out at night that always stay on the screens lol..usually come out when it rains ..i live in FL these items are easy to find..garter snakes diet is earth worms,little fish,lizards,frogs

7. schlegelbagel

chances are he's too stressed out to eat anything right now.

8. Ollie

Ollie Elite Member

yea im gonna catch some lizards to get him healthy. There everywhere, but im not planning on feeding him for at least 3 or 4 day because of stress and i dont think any streching would be good for him right now

9. schlegelbagel

keep him warm and keep ointment on those injuries. He has a better chance of surviving with your care than out in the wild getting all infected.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would also suggest getting earthworms or something from a store rather than catching them yourself. You never know what they have gotten into outside that might affect/poison the snake...

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Actually, that depends on the snake. In many locations they will refuse to eat mammals, but in some places they do. I've even observed them eating carrion. I know the western plains garters we have in North Dakota won't eat mice naturally, but the eastern garters in Maryland will sometimes. And the ones in ND won't eat reptiles, but they love fish, worms, and amphibians.

But for a captive garter snake, if you intend to keep him, I would train him to eat mice. I've done it with both plains garters and eastern garters. If you're only keeping him for a while, you could probably get by feeding him wild-caught prey if you have to. But long-term captives should be switched to a diet that poses less risk of disease and parasites.

Amphibians and lizards are not an economically viable or very safe captive diet. Worms by themselves are not nutritious enough, and a diet high in fish is too high in the enzyme Thiaminase, which destroys thiamine and kills the snake eventually (this almost happened to one of mine years ago). Captive garters should be trained to eat small mice (usually fuzzies) by the way of scenting. That is, you take a fuzzy and rub it on a fish, frog, or worm to make it smell like the natural prey of the garter snake. Eventually the snake becomes used to the new prey item and scenting is no longer needed.

Though small mice should be the staple of a captive garter's diet, fish, worms, and amphibians can still be offered as treats. Stick to healthier fish, such as mollies, guppies, swordtails, or platys. Goldfish aren't very nutritious, and minnows/rosy-reds aren't much better.

12. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

So it's been four days and its still hanging in there, moving around and all. I feel like if he makes it another week he'll be in the clear. I'm gonna start trying to catch some anoles for him. Kinda sad since I've had anoles as pets but i guess
    I like snakes more.

13. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

O and i should have some pics up pretty soon. Im borrowing a camera tonight

14. schlegelbagel

are you going to let him go in a wild area when he heals?

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since the snake is still moving around and behaving normally you may have a chance to pull it through. Usually a snake that has been run over succumbs pretty quickly.

16. RedLocks

RedLocks Elite Member

Good luck! Hope you can pull him or her through...

17. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

We had a garter snake a few years ago that had been dropped by a bird of prey near the porch of our house. She had a lot of really bad damage to her little body. We treated her with antibiotic ointment and lots of small prey items from the yard, it took about 3-4 months, but we got her going in time to be released before it got too cold. She still had some paralysis, but was moving great and could escape from a lot of things. We did a lot of rehab work to get her able to move again though. The paralysis was originally really bad, and we thought she wouldn't make it, she had sustained a lot of puncture wounds also. The puncture wounds healed, and she was very healthy after that. We did a lot of work outside with her, to get her moving and interested in being a snake again. That year luckily we had a whole lot of small frogs running around, it was a year with the weather just right for frogs. I just felt bad for the frogs, but there were so many that you stepped on them walking outside.

18. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

Well I was planning on releasing him after a few more weeks and some good meals. He has been very active for these past days, acting like a kingsnake or my ball python, constantly moving and soaking. But this morning I checked on him when I turned his light on and he had his mouth wide open and had passed. I'm guessing what killed him was the part of his belly that was caved in. But at least he got to live a week even though I'm sure it was rather hard and painful for him. Any reason why his mouth was open? It was like stuck open and there was nothing inside of it or anything.

19. schlegelbagel

well, at least you tried to give him a chance. Most people would have chopped his head off with a shovel.

20. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

You tried, it's hard with that combination of injuries, and with it being wild. Quite often with reptiles we have had who died, their mouths are open, not sure what causes it, just the dying I think.b

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.