This Disappears When Logged In

Emergency Avoided!

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by purplemuffin, Feb 12, 2010.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Yikes!!! Somehow in Texas it managed to snow an entire foot where my boyfriend lives, and since Texas can't handle snow, the power went out!
    It was out all night which was very scary, Nathan stayed up a lot of the night taking care of his babies--holding them inside a shirt he had been wearing that was warm, etc. Maru was the easiest to keep warm, she just wraps herself in a warm spot and doesn't move until she's sucked the heat out of that area, lol!

The first scary thing is they don't have a fire place and the hot water wasn't working last night!
    The next scary thing is his parents forgot about THEIR reptile and the poor iguana was very cold! Thankfully nathan went down to check if they had a good way of heating her that he could apply to his own reptiles and he found her all cold by herself! Poor girl, so he took her up with him and took care of them all. Thankfully now this morning they realized 'woops' and are all helping!

The power still isn't back, but hot water is working which is making life SO much easier! They are trying to clear snow out of the road so they can get out-My parents offered their house to take the reptiles in which is nice! If they can't drive that far, they'll drive far enough to find some of those hand warmer heater things!

It's amazing, I never thought we'd experience weather this cold in Texas, so we never had super planned on warming the reptiles! Sure we had little things, but never thought once we'd have to stock up on hand warmers...it's Texas! It's hot..usually! But after this we are so in shock and can't imagine how difficult it must be for people housing reptiles in cold states! AND we are so thankful to this website! When he called I actually was looking at a thread about protecting animals from the cold in a power outage! Who knows what would have happened if we didn't already have the knowledge of what to do! Thanks you guys! Right now, we're putting together an emergency pack for the animals(including a battery powered night light for the bird, poor bella almost died of fright last night!) so we'll be better prepared from now on!

2. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Good to know everyone is alright!

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Good thinking on your boyfriends part to check his parent's ig. Many people would have been so concerned with their own, they would have forgotten anyone else's animals. You got a good man there! ;)

4. purplemuffin

:) I know, I'm so proud of him he's awesome! His parents want me to tell you all it wasn't that they necessarily 'forgot' it was that power outs usually last about an hour at most in Texas, occasionally all night but they figured it would get back to normal soon enough. STILL good that Nathan found her! Now they are all warm and toasty (of course Nathan and his family are still cold! It started snowing again! Crazy!)

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The times they are a changing, that's for sure.
    Good to know that things are ready for the next one.

6. purplemuffin

it's crazy! I mean I had seen snow before, but the most that ever sticks to the ground has ever been just a little(you can see the grass over it) but this is bizarre! We're not leaving anything to chance now that we know anything really can happen!

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

glad everyone is okay! Yeah, even though I live in Florida, I keep the hand warmers in stock.

8. Midori

Midori Elite Member

This just prove point of how weather isn't the same anymore. I'm picking up hand warmers for Mindy!

Very happy to hear nothing bad happened to the reps. I'm so glad your boyfriend found his parents rep. Also I understand the oh the powers out it'll be back in an hour thing.