This Disappears When Logged In

Emerald Tree Boa Problem???

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by boa25, Aug 30, 2009.

1. boa25

boa25 New Member

Hi all members , Well I just got an emerald tree boa about 1 1/2 months ago it's a beautiful snake and a wonderful addition to my collection . But I'm having feeding problems it doesn't want to eat since I got him ! It shed last week so not sure what's wrong please help ??? thanx boa25

2. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

Sometimes what I do is take a little bit of chicken broth, and dip the rat/mouse into it. This usually helps my snakes become a little more interested and they will almost always take the food if it is dipped in the broth.

I would expect your tree boa would do the same. Chickens are birds ( no really?) and tree boas are very fond of birds, so that might be a bonus.

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

You can try the "Indian trick" as well. Get some fine downy feathers from around the little bird cages at a pet store. Stick one in the warmed up F/T pinky or fuzzy's mouth and offer it on long feeding tongs. Sometimes you can tickle the snakes mouth area or neck with it.
    This usually got a good feeding response from our chondro babies. (I know they are not the same as ETBs, but it might work). Since they eat birds, it's not a problem for them to swallow the feather -- Just don't use feathers from pillows, as those may have chemicals on them!!)

Combined with the chicken broth idea, it might even work better.

Here's what it looks like:
    102854489.jpg
    102854502.jpg

We boiled the feathers in water and let them air-dry. Then kept them stored in the freezer with the frozen mice/rats. Just in case there were any bugs on them.

Attached Files:

4. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

How about a little background info.? How old, how large? What size enclosure? What are DTHs and NTLs in both temps and humidity? What is light period vs darkness? What are you trying to feed? If f/t are you super heating before offering? Does your enclosure have a front or top opening.

Forget the "bird" remedies, the main diet is arboreal mammals. I have never had a problem getting an emerald to eat rats, even fresh off the boat (eating was never a problem, it's what came later for WC's), as long as the environmental parameters were correct and the caging was an appropriate size for the snake.

Craig

5. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

You need to bring this to the open forum. I have asked you several times, in PM, to answer my questions. Again, I can't help you without those answers.

Craig