This Disappears When Logged In

Emerald Tree Boa - New And Proper Care

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by lilwyhunter, Jul 27, 2011.

1. lilwyhunter

lilwyhunter New Member

Good Morning! I'm the proud new owner of a gorgeous Emerald Tree Boa and when looking for information (and a good forum) it kept tying me back to this one. There's such a wide variety of information of proper care and how to's on this animal, that I wondered if I could get some personal experience information from anyone out there. He's the most docile Emerald I've ever seen, and when he came into the shop I just had to have him. Here's Buddy

[​IMG]

And his/her enclosure
    [​IMG]

Sorry, it's a lousy cell phone picture. Anyways, there's a ceramic heat emitter on the top that gets the hot side right around 85-87, the cool side is generally in the mid 70's. Humidity spikes to 85-90 in the morning and when I mist him again at night and than drops to the 40s overnight. The tank is a screen side and top Oceanic that's about 12x30x30. I picked it up at a reptile show for $40 and knew someday that I was going to have the perfect thing to put in it. Let me know if there's anything you believe I should change or tweak differently, supported by your own experience of course, I could read care sheets all day. Thanks so much!

2. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I don't know anything about them, but that is one beautiful snake!

3. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I have never had one but they are on my wish list. Very beautiful snake, and welcome to HC

4. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Here is another forum - CorallusForums.com :: Index

How long does your humidity stay that high. I am assuming with the screen enclosure it doesn't stay that high long. I would suggest a pretty steady humidity of around 75-80%.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi, and welcome to HC! :)
    Beautiful ETB you have there. I hope you didn't drive anywhere with him perched on your rearview mirror!! (Cool pic, but not safe!) Their striking distance is LONG and can easily reach your ear or nose from there...

The humidity will be difficult to keep up with a screen lid like that. Although they are arboreal snakes (like our GTPs) it would be easier to keep the humidity in a less high/ more rectangular enclosure. This is how we house our GTPs:
    348652739.jpg
    A lot of people have made their own enclosures here: check out the HerpHabitats section here for ideas. Herp Habitat Construction - Reptile Forums | Herp Center
    Good luck with your new friend. :)

Attached Files:

6. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

I too am concerned about the car mirror ride, but for different reasons. Emeralds require temps and humidity levels that can not be provided in most ambient conditions. DTH temps between 82F-85F for adults are norms, with a few exceptions. NTL temps 70F-77F, again with exceptions. Humidity in the mid to high 80's as DTH with 65-mid 70's as NTL. Again there are exceptions. Temps and humidity must be kept in balance with good air circulation. With that enclosure, you can partially cover the screen with plastic to help with humidity. However, you need to get the snake into a more suitable enclosure.

Unlike Amazons, they prefer level perching equal to their largest girth. Elevated water bowls are a must as they are true arboreals and generally don't go to ground. When they do it is usuall because they are dead. Approaching an emerald from above is equal to being preyed upon (harpy eagles are a known predator), which will probably result in a defensive strike. Front opening enclosures are the best. Hopefully, the docile temperment is just that and not a symptom of a problem, as I assume that is a WC.

Not going to write a book, just some advice from a keeper/breeder of 12 years, exclusively.

Craig

Attached Files:

7. AboutSnakes

AboutSnakes Member

I aggree with BlackJack on this

Attached Files: