This Disappears When Logged In

Emerald Swift's, Hurricane Harvey, Seizure

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by KittenDreamz, Aug 26, 2017.

1. KittenDreamz

KittenDreamz Member

I have two Emerald Swift's about 5 months old one male one female. The female just had some kind of spasm or seizure I'm not sure and I don't know what to do help! We went through hurricane Harvey last night the power went out about 4 p.m. and around midnight they were moved into smaller containers just in case the storm got bad, fortunately it didn't. Today lights came on about 2 p.m. we got everybody set up at about 5 p.m. got them back in their cages. About five minutes later she started having her spasm and now isn't really using her back legs. My male is perfectly fine I mean like the epitome of Health running around Super Active. On a side note she has not grown as fast as my male. She's basically half the size my male is. I haven't been able to figure out why and now this! :( I have them set up in a 40 breeder bioactive terrarium w/ live plants. they eat mostly mealworms and crickets. She has never had the appetite my male does but I do see her eat and he's not food aggressive. Automatic mistings twice a day. any advice helps !!

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Do they have UVB lighting and if so what kind/brand of bulb? Do they get calcium supplements with their food?
    Unless there was an injury it sounds like a calcout deficiency

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like a result of impaction, possibly from feeding too large of crickets. The shells get lodged and puts pressure on the back legs resulting in paralysis.

4. KittenDreamz

KittenDreamz Member

Yes they have ubv lighting. I bought it from the bio dude so im not exactly sure where he gets them. and yes they do get calcium supplements.

5. KittenDreamz

KittenDreamz Member

Would it cause the seizures or spasms to?

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

It could if that's what it is. Take her to the vet because the paralysis could become permanent. Regardless of what it is, a vet visit should atleast rule out many things.

7. KittenDreamz

KittenDreamz Member

I'll take her to the vet as soon as I can. unfortunately because of the hurricane nobody's open today.

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Yeah my parent's live down there and they're stuck at home. Thankfully with power. I hope you and your family stay safe!

9. KittenDreamz

KittenDreamz Member

Thank you ! Yours too!

10. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I also have a bioactive kit from that company. If it is one of the led bulbs that have all of the tiny little bulbs facing in one direction, they are just grow lights with no uvb.

KittenDreamz likes this.