This Disappears When Logged In

Emerald Swift Burned Its Fingers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Diego Álvarez Robledo, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Hello. I just adopted an Emerald Swift left behind by a partner who had to move away. I don't know almost anything about caring for such animals, but I really want to do it. Thing is, last night I left a heat rock on, and the poor guy burned its left foot fingers, he doesn't even have fingers at all now. I feel like such an idiot, but my friend told me he always left the heat rock on. Of course I've already removed the heat rock, but now I feel really lost. I don't know if all the instructions my friend gave me for caring for this guy were right. I don0t know how to help him heal this terrible wound. Please help me, I don't know what to do, how to care for him. I really want him to have a nice life, but I've just looked after him for a couple of days and now I feel I screwed up really bad. What can i do?

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you can gently dab the wound with a diluted iodine solution, ten parts water to one part iodine, do that once per day. If there`s no sign of infection I would expect the toes to heal. If it looks any worse over the next few days you would need to see a vet.
    You`ve done the right thing in removing the "hot rock", they are not at all safe, and in this case the lizard will need heat from above.
    Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions?