This Disappears When Logged In

Ella Has Passed

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by er15ss, Dec 13, 2009.

1. er15ss

er15ss Well-Known Member

Besides my 2 lizards, I have 3 rodents. I found Ella, my hamster, dead last night. She was 18 months old - middle aged. I think I dealt with it okay. It'll be hard when my bigger pets die - I don't know if I'm ready for it. Kinda makes me want to get another hamster so I am forced to deal with it. Death is an inevitability that is so hard to accept. I want to be okay with it, so when the animals I am really attached to pass on, I can be emotionally ready for it. But for now, Rest In Peace, Ella. You were an awesome driver in your little explorer ball.

2. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss! Unfortunately, we can never really prepare for it and even if you know your friend is dying - you are still not prepared when it happens. And we do grow attached to our pets very quickly, they seem to have a way of wiggling right into our hearts immediately!

The best you can do is remember them fondly and always keep them in your heart!

Again, I'm very sorry about Ella! :(

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Sorry for your loss. This type of thing is something that you can never be prepared for, no matter how much practice you have had. I hope your spirit perks up soon.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

The entire McConley clan joins you in mourning the passing of your loved one. Rest in Peace Ella.i

5. Lovey

Lovey Member

So sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a beloved pet that has become such a part of your daily life, and routine. Here I am - a middle aged lady, and I have had pets all my life, and had to go thru losing them, and it doesn't get easier. You just learn to accept the finality of it, with life here on this earth.

We lost our Chucky the Guinea pig in the Sprting, and I never thought I would cry so hard for a GP! I have lost dogs, cats, birds, frogs & toads & fish to death, and each loss hits in a different degree, but it still hurts.

Some say the greatest tribute to a beloved pet is to go out and get another one similiar to what you lost. You are not replacing them - you are honoring their memory and your love & devotion to them.. I did this when I lost my beloved Scotty Jake. 2 weeks later - I was holding my male scotty puppy Captain Jack. He was the next best thing, and I love him dearly today. He helped mend my broken heart.

I think Ella would probably want you to ease your heart, and if getting another hamster would help - I think she would be all for it!

Lovey

6. er15ss

er15ss Well-Known Member

I can honestly say, yes, of course, I'm sad she's gone, but it's the whole physical aspect that gets to me. What am I going to do when my Leopard Gecko or Chinchilla goes (10-15 years from now)? How am I going to take care of the body? How do I honor them properly without wussing out, or getting queasy? I guess that's the hardest aspect for me. I don't want them to go, they are great companions and fun to watch play, but it is inevitable.

7. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

All my beloved pets (which of course has been all of them) have been buried in my back yard. Granted we live in farm country and have almost an acre of land - where it's legal to do that! (If we were in the 'city' limits we wouldn't be able to do that). And I usually have hubby deal with the hard part.

I don't get squeamish on that part, but I can understand why some would. It's okay - that is normal. There are lots of ways to handle it. I know my regular vet will take the animals for cremation if we don't want to handle it ourselves.

Then have a memorial for the pet - something private to honor them. You don't have to do anything to the body -- in my opinion, once they die they are gone. The body is just a shell. I don't think letting the vet take it shows disrespect for our loving pets at all.

It's how you remember them that counts!

8. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I am sorry about Ella :(
    I also think how you think though. When I suddenly lost my crested geckos, I was beyond devastated. But also in the back of my mind was, what am I going to do when I lose my leopard gecko? He is my baby and so unique I will never have another like him. I don't know how healthy it is, but that is where my mind blocks it out - it can't process that idea. Even right now, its shutting down because it thinks its not an option. I think its extremely difficult to prepare for such an event when the brain wants to protect itself.

Oh, and I'm getting Kermit and Fraggle cremated. I'm not in a permanent enough location to bury them so that is what I'm doing.

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

So sorry to hear about your loss, it's always hard to lose a beloved pet no matter how big or small they are. :(