This Disappears When Logged In

Electricity

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Buggy0123, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I didn't know where else to put this so I posted it on this thread... I'm really curious how people *not breeders just collecters* have enough electricity for their animals? I have two circuits in my reptile room- each running about 1300 watts but I have no room left to plug stuff in. How do people with 20, 30, 40+ animals manage their electricity? I'm mostly curious because I'm adding a tank soon but it's going to be the last one I'll be able to add due to running out of room to plug stuff in, not even from having too many watts.

2. dp428

dp428 Established Member

extension cords with multi-circuit outlet

3. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

I only have two outlets where I keep my animals and I just use power strips and extension cords with several outlet things on them.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Power strips, extension cords with multiple outlets on the ends, plug in splitters at the outlets, whatever I need. For example, all my cage lighting is on the same timer, so I have a heavy duty extension cord running to a good quality power strip. I plug a heavy duty appliance timer into one of the outlets, plug another strip into that, and run various cords to all the cages. It can be a little hard on the timer as you approach the maximum wattage, but the ones I use are around $8 and usually last a couple years or more. For thermostats and other devices, I can go back to the main strip, or just plug in to the nearest regular outlet to the cage. The quality of your extension cords matter, as does paying close attention to how much wattage your running through everything. But the majority of stuff in this hobby really doesn't pull that much power. I mainly watch total draw on a given house circuit, and the wattage involved in basking and general cage lighting. It can be a big plus if you can set up so that nothing else is on the same circuit as your reptiles, but that tends to be difficult for most.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If you have a dedicated reptile room, it's worth it to run a line to it straight from the breaker panel. Don't do it yourself though.