This Disappears When Logged In

Elaphe rufodorsata ...

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by replover, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Hi. I am new to snakes. I thought Elaphe rufodorsata were non-venomous. However, I got a few sites that said that Elaphe rufodorsata did have venom. while a lot of other sites and sources say it is non-venomous.

Can someone confirm this for me? The info online is so contradictory I can't even know if they are classified as ratsnakes or Garter/water snakes. I do know they are not corn snakes even though they are sometimes referred to as Chinese Corn snakes.

The snake I am referring to is also known as Chinese Corn Snake, Red Backed Rat Snake, Chinese Garter snake.

This is what it looks like, in case I am mistaken
    [​IMG]

2. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

Just bumping up this post for you in case anyone can reply.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is an ongoing debate as to whether all colubrids are venomous in a small way. I know of at least one individual that breaks out in a rash due to the saliva of colubrids.
    I am not familiar with that particular species but from what I am able to find they are frog eaters, rear fanged and considered mildly venomous. I also saw numerous pictures of this snake being free handled by keepers so I would assume that if they are venomous it isn't dangerous to humans. But that is just an assumption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.