This Disappears When Logged In

Eight Legged Rescue!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by purplemuffin, Dec 24, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Was visiting a local pet store with a friend--we saw an employee come out of the back with a tub of 3 leopard geckos. He and the manager were trying to figure out where to put them as all of the enclosures were packed full, except for one. There was a young Texas brown tarantula that had apparently been there a while as they were complaining that no one was ever going to buy them. People WERE going to buy leopard geckos though. Eventually the manager just said to go take it and they can just kill it, they'll get better looking ones next time.

Suffice it to say that after a small rant, I walked home with a young tarantula. No, I didn't buy him(not going to give them my money!), they were going to kill him anyway.

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

He's very cute and small. We're going to find a really nice home for him so he can be taken care of properly! :) I say he, but I have no idea. It SORT OF looks like a girl, but it may be too small to tell. I don't know what size males go through that crazy transformation.

Attached Files:

2. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Sounds great! Awful though that the pet store was going to do that :( Good luck with him/her!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm glad you talked some sense into them! Lucky little tarantula.

4. purplemuffin

Yeah, we were very much at the right place at the right time for this guy!

5. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Ugh, that's horrible they were going to kill him. T's take up so LITTLE space it wouldn't take much to house it in a less showy enclosure. :(

Kudos to you for taking him home!

6. purplemuffin

Yeah, it sounds like they were expecting a lot of animals to be bought as christmas presents so they really over stocked themselves with animals. Ridiculous!

We may have found a home for the little guy or gal. One of my best friends is allowed to have them as a dorm pet, and he's very responsible and I trust him. He drives himself and his dorm is close to pet stores so he can get crickets whenever he needs to. After the holiday season when he goes back to his dorm he will be taking the spider possibly.

Well, if we don't fall in love with it by then. Nathan met the tarantula today, after all night saying "No way no how!" to keeping it. Now he thinks it's adorable and he's loving the little baby. His first was huge--like big as his hand. Seeing a little one just made him miss his old gal. We'll see. Like you said, Ts take up -such- a small amount of space... :D

7. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Aww! So cute! So awesome you brought her home :D

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad you were able to help the little gal out, much better outcome than having her killed, was an id!@* :mad:

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's crazy! What a lucky spider :)

10. purplemuffin

Yes definitely! We were a very big christmas miracle for this little bug.

So I think I'll name him "Humbug!" (LOL, I can't help but be punny)

IMG_0765.jpg

Attached Files: