This Disappears When Logged In

Eggs!!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Bitis Gabonica, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Congratulations !This is really lovely news!Hope everything goes well!

2. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

Sweet

that's great! can't wait to see the little ones they should look awsome

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Thanks guys :)

Ken, that's fascinating - did you manage to get any pics?? I love candling the eggs - in a few days we'll be able to see veins and in a few weeks we should be able to see the shadow of the babies, it's really amazing. I always tried to get pictures of this with the beardie eggs but it doesn't show up very well. Here's one we took last year not long before the eggs were due to hatch (you can see the tail of the baby dragon in the egg)..

Fed mum last night, she ate a rat fuzzie straight away, so we'll try her again on Sunday and then increase her food allowance,, let's just hope she doesn't double clutch!

Our anery is searching, and should lay her eggs any day, if she is in fact gravid,. our snow is undoubtedly pregnant - her skin is showing through her scales!! And our oaketee is a real fatty! Can't wait! Oh i love Spring!! :p

Attached Files:

• 0.JPG
      0.JPG
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Bitis Gabonica

After checking on Arrow's eggs, 9 days after laying, (she has since had her post-lay shed by the way), we discovered firstly that i counted wrong - there are 8 eggs lol :D -most appear to be clear after candling (looking at the eggs with a torch), but two or a possible three are fertile (have visible veins), so we are very lucky to get any fertile from her and are looking forward to hatching date!!!

More news.. Haydes, our anery has just laid 13 eggs (10 days after her pre-lay shed), and Snowball, our snow, had her pre-lay shed 3 days ago so is due to lay soon. Still waiting for Huey, our oaketee, to shed then she will be laying too - lots of babies round ours in a couple of months!! :p ..Huey and Snowball are much bigger than Haydes so I'm guessing will lay probably twice the eggs.. anyway wish us luck you guys! :)

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Rachel, I'm almost dizzy with all your egg-laying news!!
    Congratulations. I'm glad the young mother is OK.
    Good luck with everything. You really have to stay on your toes in your "maternity ward" there. I'm not really sure how you manage it all. You're amazing!
    Can't wait for more updates and pics!!!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And so Rachel prepares to supply the entire UK with snakes! :p

Good luck with them and I hope you are soon up to your knees in snakelets!

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That's so cool! I'm very envious :D Someday I hope to get some experience with raising little snakelets too :)

8. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks you guys.. ah you crack me up!! :p Will keep you updated with all our baby news.. at this rate we'll have to literally move out on the street to make room for all the "worms" :D

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i can't wait to see them all! congrats. thats wonderful news. :D

10. Bitis Gabonica

Finally our snow corn has decided to lay her eggs! Here's a couple of pics - so far she has laid 13 but as you can see by the bulges in her body, near to her cloaca, there are more to come!

Our oaketee Huey has also just had her pre-lay shed so eggs coming from her soon. Phew 3 down, 1 to go! :p

Attached Files:

11. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

WOW, great pics Rachel, so many eggs, im green with envy, but glad for you :D glad its going so well,woohoo, a lorra lorra babies :D

12. Bitis Gabonica

Hehe thanks Donna :p Snowball laid 15 in total, all looking good, and mother is well. Now to get a nice fat rat inside her and get building those hatchling racks (Joe!!) :D

13. Bitis Gabonica

Another update.. our oaketee, Huey, started laying her eggs two days ago.. and still going! - she isn't egg-bound, she is still laying, but most of the eggs appear to be infertile, which would explain the lengthy birth process. She has laid ?23 so far i think, and still has more to go. One possibility is that she was mated with last, and after a male has mated with a couple of females the sperm viability decreases significantly. It's a shame but hopefully we will still get one or two babies from her. Also a shame that she has to go through so much for infertile eggs, but that's nature i suppose.

And we suspect Arrow may be double-clutching. This ofcourse is not ideal, since she was too small to be bred in the first place, but i guess there's nothing you can do about sperm retention. The good thing is she is eating anything and everything, so she is gaining a lot of weight, so not too worried about her.

I think we have around 40-45 eggs in the incubator now from the corns, of which i would guess that 25-30 are fertile.. :D
    First lot are due to hatch around the end of May so baby pics as soon as they do!!! :p

14. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

can't wait for baby pics. they're so adorable. congrats to the mommies even if not all the eggs are good ones. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.