This Disappears When Logged In

Eggs!!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Bitis Gabonica, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yeah, finally, 7 days after her pre-lay shed, Arrow our youngest corn laid her eggs - without problem thankfully!

She laid 9 in total,. they are huge! I don't know how the poor thing got those things out but she managed well! She weighed not quite 200g before, which is quite a bit smaller than we would have liked her to be, and has dropped to 108g now she's laid! But we've taken the eggs out and placed them in the incubator (all look fertile and healthy!) and mother is well, will feed her tonight and try and get some much needed weight back on her.

I'm so proud of her!! Well, here are the eggs, and some pics of the mother - wonder what will hatch out of these beauties, with an amel motley mum and a creamsicle dad!

*Happy dance happy dance* :p

One down.. three to go :D

Attached Files:

2. Bitis Gabonica

N.B. Important : I just wanted to highlight Arrow's weight - she wasn't deliberately bred, and was housed with a juv. male, as most of you will know by reading my other thread. But I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying this is a good thing - a corn should be at least 250-300g in weight and should be nearer 3 years in age,,. Arrow is around 2 years in age, and was too young, but obviously not in nature's eyes! She is now on her own, and will remain so until she is much bigger and ready to breed again. We were very lucky that her pregnancy went so smoothly and that she is ok, we must not take that for granted or forget that.

Thanks all. :)

P.S. Have your snakes sexed as young as possible, and don't house males and females together until they are big enough to breed! :D

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Ohhh wow, great news Rachel, congratulations :D i'm so glad everything went so well, the eggs look really nice and white, and mum looks healthy and bright, can't wait to see the little babies, wooohooo :D

4. Bitis Gabonica

Hehe thanks Donna!!! You gotta come over and see them!! Our anery corn is due to lay in the next several days, if she is gravid, and our snow and oaketee not long after!

According to Joe's workings out the babies from this clutch will be amel het. motley, with less white than usual amels due to the father being creamsicle. Very excited!!

Once again we were very lucky that this pregnancy went so smoothly, and even more so due to it being her first clutch - so far so good,. expect regular updates on how the eggs are going! :p

Will feed mum tonight and hopefully she will eat straight away, I would imagine she is famished! Then we'll feed her on more regular intervals, with extra calcium in her diet, and she should put her weight on quickly. :)

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Excellent news Rachel, no slugs iether I see !!! congrats.

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Hey Donna, you got your name on the list to get another, lol. Congrats Rachel. Good luck.

7. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Great news! Congratulations!! =)

8. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks guys,. Yeah Ken they all look really great initially!

Hehe Marsha... I was wondering the same thing,. want a baby amel Donna?? :p

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Fantastic! What a relief for you, I'm sure, that everything went well! The mom is gorgeous and the eggs look great!

I'm definitely glad we separated Jack and Sally...I wouldn't want to have to go through worrying about her getting pregnant and being too young! I appreciate all the advice you guys gave me about that! :)

10. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Juliane, and I'm glad we could all learn something from this experience - I'm just glad we came through it ok, but we were lucky. I hope our other corns' pregnancies go just as smoothly - give your little ones a couple of years and you'll be surrounded by cute babies too :p

Ken, when are yours due to hatch?? How long has it been?

11. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Mine should be any day now, today is day 55..

12. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Awsome I cant wait to see babies!

13. Bitis Gabonica

Great stuff Ken.. it's like Christmas morning when all the babies hatch!!! :D

14. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I hear ya Rachel !!!

15. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

awesome. gorgeous snakes. :)

16. Bitis Gabonica

Ken, can I ask what your incubating temps are? - we are incubating at 82-84f, which, according to The Corn Snake Manual, means we should have hatchlings in 52-59 days, however 85f results in a later hatching date, and a fluctuation between 70-90f results in hatching around 69-80 days.

We've found temps of 82-84f have given us hatching after 46-54 days, with higher temps resulting in quicker hatching and lower temps making the process slower. Be interesting to note how the corns go..

As for the hatchlings from this pair apparently after some discussion we will have amels het. motley het. creamsicle, which must be classed as hybrids because of the creamsicle influence, which is the result of an amel and a rat snake cross. Phew these genetics confuse me greatly! :D I think I'll just wait and see what pops out :p

17. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

We have ours incubating at 80. According to our herpatologist friend a lower temp will require a longer incubation time but a larger, healthier neo. He estimated 60 days at 80 and we are at 55. As far as what to expect,,,like Merlin said with all the cross breading and new morphs you just don't know. Both the parents are Okeetee's with the male a very high orange so we are assuming they will all be Okee's....but you never know !!

18. Bitis Gabonica

Yep the lower temps are supposed to mean longer incubation time but stronger and larger babies.. good luck with your little ones, can't wait to see them! How many are you expecting?

(Hmm, after inspecting the adult corns, if Arrow can get 9 out, what are we going to get from them?! :D )

19. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

LOL,,,the adults should give you anywhere from 15-25. We are expecting 17. She laid 20 with 2 slugs. While removing the 2 slugs we damaged 1 of the good ones. We did get to disect the 1 good one and got to see the snake embryo. It was about 3/4 of an inch long and looked like white thread with a red stripe. It actually moved for a few seconds, quite a learning experience !!!

20. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Congrats Rachel!

How exciting. I can't wait to see what kind they end up being.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.