This Disappears When Logged In

Eggs Keep Shriveling Up when They SHOULD Be Hatching

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by River, Nov 27, 2012.

1. River

River Member

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!
    I've tried multiple incubations of my leopard geckos eggs and up until around the couple weeks that hatching should occur, the eggs shrivel up and just concave into themselves. They don't even stink or rot, and up until then they appear to be very healthy. I use perlite in an incubator with a thermostat and I keep the substrate moist. Could it be a problem with the geckos themselves being infertile?

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

What are the temps and is it correct? Have you verified this with another thermometer?

3. gus211

gus211 Well-Known Member

Have you cut into any off the bad eggs to see if there was an embryo inside. Your humidity might be off how are you checking that.

4. River

River Member

Temp was kept around 88 - 89 degrees. Don't have a way to check humidity. Didn't think to cut into the egg afterwards; it looked indented and shriveled.

5. justor

justor Elite Member

Aren't the eggs supposed to become dented or shriveled looking shortly before they hatch? Or am I totally mistaken?

6. River

River Member

Not sure about that, but these were were like SUPER dry, dented, empty looking. I even waited for a couple days just to make sure and nothing happened, they just continued to shrink and shrivel.

7. justor

justor Elite Member

Did you ever candle them to see if they were fertile or not?

8. River

River Member

Well, like I said they appeared to be healthy, full and plump eggs for a couple months before this kept happening. But honestly no, I never candled them.

I didn't change the moisture or the temperature during this time either.

9. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I would say that the temperature is a little on the high side. It's still in the range that you can incubate them in, but if you are having problems it would be safer to aim for more like 85. Also, if they are that high they should be hatching faster than "a couple of months"... mine hatched in 45 days and they were at a lower temperature than that. What kind of thermometer are you measuring the temperature? What are you incubating them in? What are you keeping the eggs in inside the incubator? Pictures would help too... Are you sure there couldn't possibly be little hatchlings running around that you didn't see? When mine hatched, I just barely saw a dent in one of the eggs and I opened the lid and holy crap there was a hatchling, I didn't even see him at first glance. Did you open the eggs up and check?