This Disappears When Logged In

eggs are bad for igs, correct?

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by furryscaly, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Ok, now I'm pretty sure I'm correct that iguanas are not supposed to be fed animal proteins, including eggs. If I'm wrong, let me know. While we're on that subject though, what about eggs for WDs? That one I don't know. Check out here:

http://forums.about.com/ab-exoticpets/messages/?msg=2167.1

Read the whole thing to see where igs pop up. Now I like Bill, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct that igs should not be fed eggs.

2. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

You're correct, animal protein should NOT be fed to igs. Bill may have kept igs longer than you've been alive, but that doesn't mean Bill knows HOW to keep igs. It sounds like Bill is operating from a knowledge-base that's at least 10 years old.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY EVERYONE WHO KEEPS IGS NEEDS TO STAY INFORMED AND KEEP UP WITH WHAT'S NEW IN IG RESEARCH AND CARE!!
    <sigh>

Someone else will have to help with your WD question, sorry.

3. SpeacilK

SpeacilK Elite Member

me neither sorry. i only know that you can feed them to tegus

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As Steph said just because he has done it for a long time doesn't mean he's correct. Animal protein used to be recommended. Unfortunately the iguanas always died "unexpectedly". An animal that has the potential to live for 20-30 years would only survive 5- 10 years,....... if they were lucky.
    What's wrong with this picture!
    How many iguanas did he have and how long did they live? I have routinely heard people talk about how healthy their iguana was and how long they had lived. Then it turns out they never had one that lasted more than a couple of years.
    I wonder why?

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Hmmm,,,not much to wonder about from here !!!

6. Ace

Ace Elite Member

not cool

I cant believe there is so much crazy info out there.... I am sure glad I found this sight along time ago so I am not someone who got the wool pulled over their eyes...

As for wd's I have heard of hard boiled egg for wd's but I myself have never fed my wd's any... :eek:

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Thanks guys. I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight, cause Bill usually knows what he's talking about. My guess is he had igs a long time ago, but they died, and since he doesn't have any more today he hasn't done any new research on them. Last time he heard protein was ok for igs.

8. Merlin

Thats ok Matt. There are still books in print and websites that tell you to feed bugs and mice to the igs.
    Too bad there isn't some way to go thru them all and update them!

9. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Matt-

Wild igs and captive igs are two very different animals, even if the same species.

Many people, including scientists, have witnessed iguanas eating bugs and baby chicks in the wild, that doesn't make it right for captive iguanas.

Iguanas in the wild have complete control of their diet. Their "sense" tells them when they need certain nutrients, including strong UVB to bask in. They are indeed opportunistic feeders, as is evidenced by feral iguanas in Florida eating plants they would normally walk by. They have survived a LONG time in the wild all by themselves.

When we make an animal captive we strip it of most of the ability to "think" for themselves. They no longer forage for food, we offer it. We take our best guess based on CURRENT research as to what is good and what is bad. As so many have already pointed out, a field observation lead to the belief that iguanas eat animal protein regularly, so owners fed animal protein to their iguanas who lived up to 10 years if that (which was considered "good" back then!). Better, more careful observations, and STUDIES determined that iguanas do not regularly seek out animal protein. Of course, if they could speak, all those iguanas that died from liver and kidney failure would have told us differently back then.

A human does not regularly eat bread and water at every meal. But remove any ability to get other foods and the human would gladly eat bread and water forever, and perhaps survive it! Doesn't make it right. Ever watch Survivor? Humans there eat bugs and all kinds of nasty things, to survive. Doesn't mean it's a good diet. LOL

I think Bill's responses are archaic, hauntingly familiar, condescending and downright dangerous when it comes to his position on animal proteins and iguanas. He really needs to catch up to the rest of the INFORMED world.......before he is too old. LOL

BTW, it wasn't many years ago that they recommended crushed up chicken egg shells be fed to iguanas for "calcium". Imagine that! At some point someone actually thought it was OK to feed an iguana crushed chicken egg shells! :mad:

10. Merlin

And don't forget the archaic recommendation to feed them gravel so that their gizzards would work properly!
    Its a wonder that any of the iguanas survived at all!

11. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I agree totally ....

and as for the Water Dragon question...I would think eggs would be OK for them considering they eat animal protein....thats if you can get them to eat the eggs in the first place LOL.....Lyn

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the new info :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.