This Disappears When Logged In

Eating

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by briana1399, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

after thawing her food put it under the heat lamp just for a few seconds, it actually makes it easier for the snake to catch the prey's scent... try that, maybe it'll work...

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

and you also have to consider that all the limbs will fold down, and the fur.

They usually don't go by measuring the circumference of the snake so much as the thickness - if you snake is an inch thick, he can handle a 1.5 inch prey item.

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

She has not refused any meal even when shedding or before. the only thing she refused was the frozen. About three times. Her throat is so tiny though!!!

I tried heating it up/ no go. oh so its not the around part...ok

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

snake skulls are expandable - and their skin is very stretchy to accommodate large prey items. If you don't feel comfortable feeding an item that size, by all means save it until you feel better about it.

Try letting her go hungry for a few (two or so) weeks, and then offering a frozen/thawed. let her work up an appetite.

5. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

well, next time you get freshly pre-killed, let it sit on a counter for a few hours and loose that "live" scent a bit and see how the snake takes that feeder... then little by little, let the feeders sit on a counter (plate, whatever lol) longer and longer, and after a while try frozen/thawed again... a friend of mine (he's a herpetologist) had turned a few of his snakes to f/t feeders like that.... worth a try....

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm gonna try that one. I have one ball that still will NOT convert. Our next attempt will be to thaw the rat in a bin full of gerbil bedding, in hopes the rat will pick up the scent, and maybe smell tastier to him.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You have to be sure that F/t is nice and warm. Some snakes don't like them wet, so dry them off.

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Maybe they just don't like the way they taste? I mean food taste different to use after it's frozen.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't look at the size of the head or neck. The snake is built to swallow prey much larger than that!
    Check out this video I just loaded of a python killing and swallowing a gazelle. About 2 minutes in, it has a great graphic showing how the snakes jaws separate to accommodate the swallowing of large prey.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/video-Python-swallowing-gazelle-178.html

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

nothing came up when i clicked on it

11. Merlin

Try again. Rich is working on the site and may have had something disabled. I just brought it up and it worked fine.
    Or just go into the videos section and click on it there.

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I watched it...was a little cheesy but i get the just!!!

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That would be so amazing to see in real life. I always wonder how they get past the horns, that must be such an obstacle.

African rock python?

14. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I'm confused. So if I have a snake that is 4 inches thick can she have a 4 1/2 inch rat? Or is it I have a snake that is 4 inches she can have a 6 in rat? So say x=the thickness of my snake.
    x*1.5 or x+(1/2) ?

15. Merlin

Look at how big around the snake is at the widest point. Then go with a feeder that is about the same size around or just a tad bigger.
    It's about circumference, not length

16. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

its x*1.5

think about it a minute. x+.5 doesn't make sense. consider a hatchling cornsnake, they are about 1/4" thick. feeding a .75" prey item would be over 200% its width. keeping with proportionality, a 5" wide snake snacking on a 5.5" prey item is just over 100% width. so keeping prey items 1.5x the width keeps everything the same whether for big snakes or small.

and where was this snake that choked on a prey item? ive never heard of that happening

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.