This Disappears When Logged In

Eating

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by briana1399, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

My red tail doesn't usually have a bump in her belly after eating and she is on mice right now. So today they were out of mice and I bought the smallest small rat they had. My mom and I are afraid to feed it to her though because my mom seen a snake choke and die on a mouse because it couldn't handle its size. I just don't want it to hurt her. How do I know if she can eat it? (I know it is supposed to be the same size around as her thickest part right?) And if she starts to choke what do I do?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

In actuallity it can be 1 and 1/2 times the fattest part. So if the thickest part of your snake is 1 inch, it can take a 1 and 1/2 inck thick prey item

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok good...I fed it to her. She is a picky eater...Will NOT eat frozen and won't eat with any one in the room but me and she won't eat if the tv is making noise! Thank you!

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I'd keep trying to get her to take frozen/thawed. It's so much better for the snake

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok I'll try. I killed this one...well my mom did but usually if I feed her live SOMEONE kills it. Is that ok?

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Fresh killed is better than live, it eliminates the chance of a bite, which can lead to infection.

7. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Sorry that didn't make a lot on sense I guess it's not live if it is killed. What I meant is is it ok if I buy the mouse kill it then feed it to her? Like thats not any different than thawing them?
    Also do you have a large snake?
    If so how would you knock out a rabbit for it?

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Fresh killed means buying live and killing it yourself. I have 5 boas, the largest is just a bit over 6 foot.

9. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok do you feed her/im rabbits?

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

No, Jumbo rats still work. I'm probably a year or 2 away from rabbits

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Once in a while I give our 6ft girl a baby rabbit as a treat, but her normal meal is large rats.

One of my boas is very picky too - I have only recently gotten him to eat anything dead, and it was pre-killed for several months. He just ate his first frozen mouse yesterday. He's almost 2 years old, but he is so picky and inconsistent about eating, that he is quite a runt for his age.

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

How did you knock out the rabbit? Or where do you get pre-killed ones?

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok I bought a rat that is bigger than last time. I was confused a little on the size I caan feed her. So I measured her and she is about 4 2/8 inches at her biggest part. The rat in ROUGHLY 5 inches. Could I feed her this? It looks VERY big but I wanted to ask some opinions.

14. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I think I'm just going to wait and get a smaller one!! This is one pretty large. last time when I gave her the small rat the skin around her throat was a little loose and I have a feeling this rat would make it very loose.

15. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

well, from what i hear boas do quite well on jumbo rats for the rest of their lives after reaching their max. size... can't really talk from personal expirience yet, my girl's only three feet right now, just measured her yesterday... :)
    but in one of the reptile zoo's which i like to frequent they have five adult boas and they feed them rats, which is working just fine and keeps their weight in check...

16. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

h... i just cant decide!!!!

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I get frozen rabbits (rats, mice, etc) shipped. you should check out Rodentpro.com Frozen Feeder Rodents they rock. I got a years supply (We feed 7 snakes) shipped frozen to my door for $165. Normally, I was spending about $20-$25 a week at pet shops to feed my crew. You just gotta have the freezer space.

18. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok any suggestion on how to get my boa to eat them? She WILL NOT eat anything frozen and I can't figure out why. But as soon as I put a freshly killed one in there she gets it!

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

sometimes they are picky. Let her wait a few weeks - it won't hurt her. it'll let her work up an appetite. other than being picky about what she eats, is she generally a good eater?

20. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

well, if a snake is 4 and a quarter and the rat is 5 inches then i'd say you're good to go... most snake keepers will agree that it is ok to feed them prey that is actually one and a half size of the thickest part of the snake... i have tried bigger feeders with my boa and she's just fine with it... besides, you can just kinda give that rat a tiny "stretch" :)))and see if it get's a bit thinner...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.