This Disappears When Logged In

Easy To Care For Herps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaymin Sabean, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Jaymin Sabean

Jaymin Sabean Member

I am looking for a Very easy to care for herp that will go in a 20 gallon... I have a leopard gecko in a different tank already. I was thinking a green anole. Is this a good idea? By easy to care for I mean no special diets (standard Mealworms, crickets, super worms, fruits, etc. Is what I want), nothing too jumpy, nothing that needs constant things being done to it (e.g. misting ((although misting may be alright if I get a reptirain))), and they have to be readily available at pet stores. Thanks! (Reptiles AND amphibians are oke)

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Anoles are relatively easy as long as you provide them with UVB lighting. I find the brown anoles, A. sagrei, to be hardier and more interesting captives but that's my opinion. They do need misting because they drink water off of the leaves and glass and most won't drink from standing water. Not overly jumpy when they get used to you but most won't tolerate handling.
    Since amphibians are also okay you could try a horned frog or a small species of treefrog like an American green.
    Reptile Care Sheets | Reptile Forums - Information

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

Anoles are VERY jumpy from my experience, don't tolerate handling.
    Lower Maint animals would probably be arid type or temperate, but in a 20g if you aren't able to get a bigger size eventually, I would say a smaller snake like a sand boa, or a western hognose /another small colubrid.
    Really depends on what you want out of a pet. If you want something that you can hold and interact with, or if you want something to watch.

4. Jaymin Sabean

Jaymin Sabean Member

I don't really care if I can hold it or if it requires lots of handling. The misting may not be a problem. (I am buying a veiled chameleon as well and if I get reptirain it mists two cages). I can't get a snake, parents won't allow it. I'll look into frogs. Thanks.