This Disappears When Logged In

Easy Quick Way to Kill a Feeder Rat??

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SammieLee, Nov 29, 2013.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

All the pet stores are out of f/t rats.... So we got a live one... How do we kill it before we feed it? It's just a fuzzy. This is the first time we have feed him and I do not know what he was eating at the breeders house.. He said rats and I forgot to ask live, f/t or what :/

By the way it's for a ball python...

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You don't need to kill a fuzzy, it shouldn't do any harm to your snake.

3. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Isn't it better to start try to not feed live first? I really don't want to end up with a snake I can't get to eat f/t later on....

I am still trying to learn all this :)

4. boidaesplace

boidaesplace Well-Known Member

We use a little dry ice and water to knock em out. Use a small bowl with a little water in a larger tub you can seal; place the rodent in the tub, place dry ice in the water and close the lid, the carbon dioxide provides a quick humane kill. (and dry ice is cheap) o:)

5. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I wish I had known I was going to have to buy live... I would of planned ahead. Thank you so much...for this info. Being that I didn't plan to buy live I did not research to know what to do.. Next time I will be more prepared.

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Hold them by the tail, take a pair of scissors in the other hand, quickly place the scissors across the back of the neck, at the same time yank back on the tail. It breaks the neck and severs the spinal cord. They feel no pain and die quickly