This Disappears When Logged In

Easy Care Reptile To Get Before Chameleon

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by EleniK, Dec 24, 2016.

1. EleniK

EleniK New Member

I have recently decided to branch out to reptiles, focusing mainly on the male of furcifer pardalis. As it is though, I don't feel comfortable starting out with this animal. I've had many other types if animals, including mammals, amphibians, fish, mollusks, and crustaceans, but have never had any sort of indoor reptile (I've had chickens, but they aren't anywhere near the care for chameleons). It's not that I don't know anything about furcifer pardalis, I have the entire setup planned, have talked to breeders, and have read more articles than I know. Simply it is that this is a new branch of animal keeping for me, and I'd like to start off this area with an easier care creature that has more room for small mishaps.

So, for my first reptile, I'd like it to have similar care to the species furcifer pardalis, in that it is arboreal and tropical. However, I'd like it to be a bit more cost friendly (just cause if something does go wrong, I'd rather lose 10 dollars than 200), require less space (I'm limited to a 16 inch square base and 30 inch hight for this terrarium), and, for reasons explained above, be less fragile. I also would like to get use to feeding crickets and such, so herbaceous and debris eating type reptiles would also not be as helpful.

I would love to have reptiles suggested, I feel that lizards in particular would be best. I was particularly interested in green anoles, I have always loved them, and I do enjoy that I can have more than one. So, I was wondering if anyone can offer up some critters, or let me know if they think that the green anoles would be a good stepping stone.

I'd also like to state that I have no intention of getting rid of or disregarding this creature after I do get my panther chameleon, and will do my best to keep it thriving.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You already have a problem. That size enclosure is not anywhere near large enough for a chameleon. We are talking a minimum of a 2ft square footprint and 4ft tall.

3. EleniK

EleniK New Member

I will be getting my chameleon a 2'×2'×4' tall enclosure when it comes time to get it, however, I do not have space fore 2 enclosures of that size. So, in order to fit a starter reptile and my chameleon, the starter will have to have a smaller cage, so the chameleon can still have a large enough one. Thank you for your reply, I can see how my post above may have caused concern for that.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Chameleons are pretty unique in care to most other lizards. I don't believe anything else would prepare you in advance.
    If it is the cost of the reptile that makes you apprehensive then start off with a Veiled Chameleon first.