This Disappears When Logged In

Eastern Indigo Snake

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by jacky, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Today I watched an american wildlife program,and they showed this beautiful,huge black snake called indigo snake,the biggest snake in America.
    Does anybody of you have such a snake as a pet? :cool:

2. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

If your talking about the eastern indigo, I believe you must have a permit to own them, they are huge, they metabolize food like crazy, I believe you can own them in one state without a permit though, I think California although Im not positive on that, they really are beautiful snakes though.

3. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

here one they are pretty cool

Attached Files:

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I know they are an indangered species. We have them here in florida, I have only seen one though and it was about 6 foot long. they are gorgeous, I love the way the sun light reflects off of their scales

5. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

i think i might have heard of them, dont they get like 12 feet?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get them but they are pricey, high maintainance, and there is a lot of paperwork involved!

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I thought they only got to 6 or 7 feet...do they really get as big as 12?

What makes them high maintenance?

8. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Don't know if they get 12ft...have seen an adult at about 7ft, good solid chuncky snake. We have a friend who is trying to breed his this year, but you don't see them often here and they aren't cheep about £500 a pair ($1000ish) I think. You don't need any paperwork etc over here as I guess that any you own would be CB anyway.

And by high maintainance....big snake, big appitite, fast metabalism...all adds up to equal = lots of excrement :D

If we had more room and money I would be tempted. :D

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh! Worse than my corns, I guess, which are worse than my python for sure. The corns go a LOT more than I thought they would...I thought they'd only go once a week. It's the python that's only once a week though (hope she won't increase!)

I'd be tempted too for an indigo if I had more money/room (and a husband who loves snakes rather than one who simply tolerates them...not always well either :( ) ....even if they're higher maintenance. They're gorgeous! We have one at our local museum that I've gotten to touch. Breathtakingly beautiful!

10. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Thanks for your replies.
    They get about up to 8ft long,so they said in that program.
    This is certainly a snake I would love to have in the far away future.maybe for my 50th birthday,lol(I'm now getting 37 this month,so a long way to go lol!)

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Juliane, haha that's colubrids for you, esp. corns!! :D Since eating one mouse last week I've had to change one of our corn's substrate 4 times already! :p Don't worry - boids; pythons and boas, only tend to go once a week, usually less as they get older - eat once, poo once.. corns have their own rules :p

The indigos are nice - we were lucky enough to meet someone who owned a pair, and they feel so strange compared to other snakes; their scales are huge! Big chunky snakes, very attractive.. but no more room just yet Joe :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.