This Disappears When Logged In

East African Sand Boa

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Teacherrabs, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Teacherrabs

Teacherrabs New Member

I bought a baby Sand Bia a few weeks ago...I have her in a 10 gallon tank with a heating pad and it stays around 90 degrees. The bedding is aspen. I have not been able to get her to eat. I put her in a different container for her to eat. Can anyone help?? Some people have told me to get rid of the aspen and put her into sand....if you have had any experiences with the sand boa I would love to hear from you

Thanks!!!

Michael

Attached Files:

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Welcome to the KSB world :)

Feeding babies seem to work well when you place them in a small container, pint sized, with their meal. I used live day olds at first till they got the hang of it and than used older pinks as they got bigger.

Warning, Males are just a pain in the butt when it comes time for food... Not all but enough of them are a pain that it's pretty much expected.

As per the sand/aspen/other debate, that will rage on for decades... I've used play sand, crushed walnut hulls, aspen, and care fresh substrates. All had issues at one point or another. If I get back into breeding them again I may go with the 75% sand 25% organic potting soil mix that I use for my lizards. I like the results of the stuff :p

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

And welcome to the site :) Many KSB lovers here :)

4. Precia

Precia Active Member

Hello! I recently picked up a ksb as well, and she has much the same enclosure as yours. Make sure your heat mat is on a thermostat. When mine wasn't, I measured temps as high as 120! For my baby's first feed, I put her in a little kritter keeper, and jiggled a pinky in front of her face. Once she latched on I covered 3/4 of the kk with a towel and dimmed the lights. I also waited a few days after I got her before feeding.