This Disappears When Logged In

Earthworms

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by DimitrisDaisy, May 14, 2011.

1. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

What is the best way to store and keep small earthworms for feeders? What can I feed them?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

not sure if this will help, I know that they love decomposing matter like leaves, plant material and animal matter. For feeders you'll want Night Crawlers not red wigglers

Raise and Sell European Night Crawlers

3. DimitrisDaisy

Not sure what kind they are. The container just says "Earthworms". Bought them at a reptile store. They aren't very big, the guy said they'd be fine for a small lizard. They stretch out but when they are at their shortest they're maybe an inch long... I've never seen night crawlers before, or red wigglers, so I have no clue what kind they are. Why shouldn't I feed red wigglers? I looked it up and found this:
    http://www.herpcenter.com/feeders/29057-red-wigglers-aka-earth-worms.html
    A few people mentioned that their CWDs liked them... In the chance that what I have are red wigglers, should I be worried?

And thank you for the link :)

4. mld

In that link, if you read the 8th post you will read this

5. DimitrisDaisy

yeah, I read that. I also saw a few people mention that their water dragons ate them, hence my confusion lol I haven't fed them to my dragon yet, because I still don't know what kind they are. Hopefully somebody with water dragons will be able to confirm if they are safe or not :)

6. mld

That they ate red wigglers!

Here is an article that should clear everything up
    http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/feeding_earthwo.php

7. DimitrisDaisy

Sounds like neither one are really all that great, either one is too expensive or the other is toxic. Maybe I'll take the worms back and try something else.

8. mld

As long as they are nightcrawlers (Lumbricus terrestris), you should be fine!

9. DimitrisDaisy

How can I tell the two apart? (Nightcrawlers and red wigglers)

10. mld

11. DimitrisDaisy

Oh, looks like red wigglers, then! I'll get them back to the store, the people there are pretty nice and may be willing to give me something else in exchange :)

12. mld

This member cslammon has bought his night crawlers and they come in a little package like deli meat. Not sure where he got them from but you could always ask him!

He has the most gorgeous water dragon, drool worthy!

13. DimitrisDaisy

Okay, I'll see if I can find him and find out :)

14. mld

15. DimitrisDaisy

Thanks, MLD :)