This Disappears When Logged In

Dwarf Retic?

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Dragoness, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Recently was at a pet shop that was advertising a "dwarf retic" which looked every bit like a normal retic (it was a hatchling, maybe 2 feet long). The pet shop owner said they would only get about 6 feet long.

Sadly, most pet shops are only in the business for the buck.

Is there really any such thing as a dwarf retic that only gets 6ft long? or is that a yarn he was spinning to try to make a buck off me?

I think retics are beautiful, but I have no desire to own a snake that big. If the dwarf version does exist, I'd consider it. But how would I tell?

:confused:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I believe one of the last REPTILES magazines had an article in it about dwarf retics.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Nice. wonder if I might be able to back order copies?

Retics are one of the most beautiful snakes - but I don't want something that could get 30+ feet long. I'm reluctant to get a burmese anytime soon...

I'd just hate to take home what I thought was a 'dwarf retic' and end up having to get rid of a 20 foot retic.

4. kriminaal

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's next month! I might be able to pick up a copy at a pet store.

Found an article on it, but I'm still not sure i believe it, even though the site seems reputable. I'll have to do a lot of research.

http://mahn001.tripod.com/id2.html

6. kriminaal

Nope, that was last month.
    Magazines always come out a month or so early.

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are indeed dwarf retics that are smaller in size, 5-6ft. But they would be considerabley more expensive than your common retic.
    Bob Clark has some he has been working with.
    Bob Clark Captive Bred Reptiles - Animals

However it IS entirely possible that a pet store, or their suppliers, in an effort to make a sale would call a normal retic a dwarf.
    Then when your "dwarf" hits 15+feet long you will know that you have been had.
    By then its to late.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's the part I am trying to avoid. I'll have to save up my pennies then.

10. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Well heres the deal.

Most Dwarfs still get big, 10+ foot. They are nice but are no where dwarf. There are mixes of dwarf to super dwarf, that will get you a smaller snake. Then there are crosses of a super dwarf to a normal.

The best bet if you want a small retic is get a super dwarf. They are not cheap though. I think I have some pics some where of them.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

10+ is still somewhat more workable than 20+. I have seen some of the pics, and the morphs. Not interested in a morph (yes they are pretty, but so is the price tag)

So these snakes do indeed exist? That's good. Someday I'll get one.

12. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

As far as I know, The common dwarf retic still gets about 11-14 feet long..
    If its a real dwarf.. You can't really tell until they stop growing..

However there are also Golden child Retics, I believe they stay under 9' long..

However if its at a pet store, I really doubt its a golden child.

How much was it selling for?

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It wasn't much, so I doubt it truly was any kind of dwarf...

14. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

LOL, yeah sorry, a golden child is not cheap. 8,000 to 20,000

Retic Available There are some supers.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Very nice. I'll settle for a normal super dwarf. Not looking for anything as fancy as a golden (though they are pretty)

16. ANNA M BRAUN

ANNA M BRAUN Member

I go with Merlin!! You do not know until it is too late. I just got a kayuadi dwarf retic,from Ben Siegels reptiles, I love them, but on the other hand, I am thinking that the dwarf will get about 10 to 12 feet . So that is how I shop.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If I decide to get one (I'm only window shopping at this point) I would go with a reputable dealer for whom I had a few good references.

18. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

there is only 1 way to really know if its a dwarf when its younger

if the price tag is about 5 times what it should be :D

seriously though, ive heard from a few people that the dwarfs tend to be even more moody than their bigger cousins. this true?

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm just cynical enough not to take someones word for this one. I wouldn't be surprised if some a-hole out there is charging dwarf prices on regular babies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.