This Disappears When Logged In

Dumbest Things Heard in a Pet Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mldolan, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mldolan

mldolan Active Member

now i've only been a snake owner for about 3 weeks so I cant imagine what kind of things you have heard. these are the "reptile experts" at the local stores. feel free to add your own dumbest quotes as well. remember this is just retail stores not breeders, wholesalers, internet posters, e-mail etc. that is a whole other thread.

"All snakes are nocturnal"
    "hey that snake just peed on me"
    "65F is just fine for a ball python"
    "BP's need lots of UVA light or they will die"
    "don't bother with thermometers just feel the snake if it is cold turn the heat up"
    "never use an under tank heater"
    " all a bp needs is a hide some newspaper a basking light and a water dish, at night just turn the light off"
    "they are supposed to take the guts out of the frozen mice, the snake will get sick if it eats them"
    "ceramic heaters will kill your snake"
    "we feed all our snakes live mice, but, were professionals. You should only feed frozen"

if i think of any more i'll add them.
    Mike

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I try my best to not to talk to them.... ever.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

At all costs I avoid engaging in any type of conversation with employees at petstores.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I just don't go to pet stores anymore. Too many idiots and bad conditions.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I tried resorting to the show scene only, and even then today I saw a few frogs looking less than healthy. :mad:

6. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

When I'm at petco, I always see lepord geckos that are half starved. You can see all their bones.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For those that don't know, I recently quit working at my local petco. I had to stroll in there yesterday to get my check and drop off a couple shirts I had. As I always do, I made my way over to the Reptile Department. What did I find at 12:30 in the afternoon? I found that whoever "opened" reptiles (at 7am) failed to notice that they had neglected to turn their lights on. The enclosures are dark when the lights are off, so it then makes me wonder if anyone actually changed out their dishes, did any bedding changes, etc. :rolleyes:

I have heard all sorts of good ones.

I still laugh when I hear "Mealworms/superworms will eat their way out of your reptile if you don't remove the head."

Or "Leopard Geckos need UV to survive." (Meaning the $35-$40 Reptisun UVB tubes they sell.)

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I moved this thread from Ball Pythons into General Discussion because we're not just talking about snakes anymore. :)

"The shell is supposed to look like that," when talking about a young sulcata with pyramidding scutes. The sales rep apologized to me on a subesquent visit... he'd actually gone and done research! He no longer works at that store.

9. Ollie

Ollie Elite Member

How about when telling them that iceberg is bad lettuce for Igs, they say "It's shredded vegetables, they're fine"

10. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

I recently had to explain to Pet Supplies Plus that crickets are NOT a good diet for their iguanas. They didn't know that. The other Pet Supplies Plus store near us currently has a young man working there who is very knowledgeable about reptiles and is working very hard to straighten out everyones ideas on the reptiles and is busy posting signs on the cages explaining approximate length, weight and personality of the reptiles, and what to use for bedding and what to feed them and approximately how much it will cost to feed. He is trying very hard, and is still working to educate himself more while going to high school yet. We had quite a talk, he is very interesting to talk to, as he is exploring reptile knowledge and enjoys sharing it and his love of reptiles.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

My personal favs...

"So you wanna buy a bp? well all your gonna need is this 10 gallon tank, that will last him his whole life."

"The calcium sand is the best way to go for your new pet, there's no worries of any problems with accidental ingestion."

and my top 2 fav..

"Well all you need for the boa constrictor would be this 40 gallon breeder which will last him his whole life. See, these kinds of animals will only grow as big as its environment, as for the chameleon, you could use the same tank, they don't require as much space as a boa would because they don't get a big."

then i actually stepped in and interrupted this guy at petsmart and informed the customers of what they really need to know.

"Well a corn snake isn't a good first time snake, the ball pythons are wonderful first time snakes. A corn will only live up to 2 years where the ball python can live up to several years, i believe around 5 maybe even 7!"

and whats with these people trying to sell 10 gallons for everything?! It's like they're going out of style.. Like pushing the fish in a restaurant cause its going to expire...

12. lizardking508

lizardking508 Elite Member

I overheard a petco employee telling a customer that they would need to buy like a 40 gallon aquarium for a iguana when it got older.

13. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

**shudder**, i'd like to think i'm better then all of that at the petco i work at...
    I do still think my faviorite is how much they push those 10 gallon tanks.

14. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I do this routinely! :) And I'm not sorry... I'm just not going to stand by and let misinformation be perpetuated. :mad:

15. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I asked a Petsmart employee how to care for a water dragon, once, and the guy actually told me the care is exactly like an iguana.

My all time favorite has got to be the "they'll stay small in a small enclosure" myth they perpetuate concerning everything from snakes to iguanas, though.

16. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

when i had my 10 year old rough kneck monitor i was buying some bedding...lady said...what are you buying that for ...i was like my monitor...lol she said monitor's need sand and UV to survive..i said lady ive had this lizard for years i know what im doing plus the part of the world where it comes from is humid and wet..she just kept talking and i walked away...she was eating a big mac at the same time taking bites of it as she was tellin me this info...which made it funnier...lol

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

Thats hillarious lol. I would have just gone with it to be an jerk. I probably would have been like "oh i know, but i just figure i would make life on my monitor as hard as possible and stress it out and just overall get pleasure from it's suffering. Cause after all, we all know that animals that come from wet humid jungles need dry sand that will not hold any humidity whats so ever. Why would they need humidity?? Just cause they are naturally from a wet humid environment.. i mean, this is america! And i personally love spending money on specific lights that i don't need nor ever use.." But thats just cause i find sarcasm the greatest of comedy..

NOTE: The statements made neither reflect my actual thoughts nor anyone elses here. Except maybe stupid people.... ;)

18. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

"Feed you ig crickets". It's a long story but those few stupid words tought me a lot.

19. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I loved "yeah you can keep turtles and frogs together without any problems." speaking about RES and both the dwarf frogs and fire bellied toads...

20. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Really most will tell you anything you want to hear to make the sale. You can lead them into real funny corners if you try. Hint at what you think the answer should be ("can't you feed an iguana eggs?") and watch them blithely go along with anything you say. It's sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.