This Disappears When Logged In

Dumb Question.. How Well Do Snakes See when Their Eyes Turn Blue?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by JSqueezer, Oct 23, 2013.

1. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Our JCP's eyes have turned blue. They weren't blue yesterday, not that I noticed anyway, and he was all over the enclosure.. all over me.. just being his normal self. Today he wants nothing to do with me. I know he's going to shed soon, but I've always wondered if a snake's vision is impaired when they are "in blue"? Sorry for the dumb question.. but is it like having cataracts?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Exactly. It's like trying to see through fogged glasses. Many snakes at this time will become grouchy and overly defensive. Best idea when the snake is in shed is to just leave them alone.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Never had cataracts, bit I would imagine they can't see a thing a solely rely on heat pits to tell them what's what.

4. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Thanks for the replies. I've never had cataracts either, but a lady at church does and I see the struggle she goes through with simple things I take for granted.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Some will barely change behavior,some will get grumpy as heck. Nothing like opening the cage door on an extra grumpy 14' Burmese that you didn't know was going blue. Hard to believe how long and loud that hiss was, lol.

6. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

My snakes seem to be 100% blind. They look confused and jumpy when they go blue.

7. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

My female BCI's behavior doesnt change at all when in the blue. Still as sweet as ever. My male royal however, different story. YIKES! ;|(|

8. EriksExotics

My male BCI is a real sweetheart when he goes blue... He gave me a few snake kisses on my hand, and left a few teeth as party favors

9. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

LOL!!! Kinky lil devil is he?!?!? Haha

10. EriksExotics

Lol for sure!!

11. EriksExotics

You know how puppies get too excited and and bite instead of kiss sometimes? I think that's what happened with my BCI ;)