This Disappears When Logged In

Dudes Whats A Cool Exotic Pet Perferebly A Snake

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by King Ivysaur, Aug 5, 2016.

1. King Ivysaur

King Ivysaur New Member

Okay I don't know what exotic pet I would like. I have kept a gecko, a wolf spider, and a bullfrog and am looking for a cool exotic pet perferebly a snake.

2. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

I have a nice albino garter, but she's difficult to feed unless you want to deal with buying salmon all the time. My old garter ate live minnows, but he was never healthy, so I've switched diets and had better results. Garters also stink. And not metaphorically. They release musk when threatened, which is a whole lot worse then their bite, unless you are allergic. They are great in the way of space though, a ten to fifteen gal. is usually sufficient for checkered garters. Males are much smaller, and calmer, so I don't recommend females. These snakes need a larger water bowl though, and they love swimming, so they do well with frequent baths, which helps with shedding as well. I highly recommend garters, but be careful where you get them from, wild garters are near impossible to tame, or keep easily. They are much less docile then CBs, and you usually can't find wild caught albinos. If you want a good breeding snake, I'd go with the larger garters. They are just better breeders all around, and some of the smaller snakes are more prone to issues when giving birth, since they are livebearers.