This Disappears When Logged In

Dubia Roach Diet

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Jkbauer13, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

haha I know what you mean, I did tons of research before I got mine! My colony is starting to produce now and it is awesome! I pretty much always have available chick starter for protein to prevent wing nibbling etc, and everyday when I go to get the roaches to feed my monitor, I just grab a handful of assorted fruit and veggie parts and toss them in. It really is just as simple as everyone was saying!

2. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Easily remedied for $7. Thanks Merlin! I will do that!

3. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Thanks for the reassurance!

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

New and improved - a day later!

[video=youtube;1Y-_cUB-IWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y-_cUB-IWA&feature=*********[/video]

5. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Since my bin is opaque AND lined with Reflectix for insulation, it was dark inside non stop, even during the day. I noticed that feeding appeared to be lacking. So I actually installed a ~8"x12" acrylic window in the top of the bin - the purpose is twofold:
    1. I LOVE ROACHES and I enjoy watching them - so it keeps me from constantly opening the bin and bugging my roaches :p
    2. Feeding is UP! Perhaps roaches need a "day time" to stimulate normal behavior? I don't know. Was a thought, and I kindof enjoy the window into my roaches' lives.

... so really, in my opinion, if you're OK with seeing your roaches, a clear bin isn't going to hurt, especially if the room is fairly dark for half the day. I notice my roaches sparsely feeding mid-day (in what probably seems like twilight conditions to them, I imagine).

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Much better Michael.
    Instead of getting your crystals at the pet store, check out garden shops for AgroSoak. It's the same thing at a fraction of the price.
    It's actually used as a potting soil amendment.

7. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Put your beetles in the closet! Haha, seriously, though, I keep my dermestid tub and my dubia tub in the closet with the door open. Each tub has a 5x8 window on top (just half the invincible plastic products come in [this sort of thing: http://www.p-wholesale.com/upimg/17/144a1/plastic-packing-662.jpg]). My dermestids reproduce like crazy! The dubias do pretty well, though I've been overfeeding from the tub, so I don't have a ton right now. Putting the window on top, especially in an already dark place, provides diluted and filtered light. Most beetles prefer the dark, but they do need a little bit of light, so it's a pretty functional compromise. If you want to use a ceramic bulb for heat, cut a separate hole, put mesh over it, and then set the flood lamp on top of that. I've always just used heating pads, personally.

Unfortunately, I've also had this experience. :/ But, I did notice that they need some light. Not a whole lot, but, for example, they never took over the closets or the bathroom, which were always kept dark. They did, however, take over every other room, though they only came out in the living room, bedroom, and dining room at night, when it was dark.

I'm not going to argue that they can't be kept in total darkness, because I've never actually tried it, but I will say, they do well with a small window and limited light.

8. Merlin

Oh I don't mean that they have to have totally darkness. Just not bright light.
    I do have a small window in the top similar to Knox's second version for ventilation.

9. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Gotcha. I know of someone (from a different forum) who desperately wanted to start a dermestid colony, but they kept dying. He tried 5 times before giving up. After much probing, the problem was discovered: he kept them in a transparent tub in his living room (big, sliding glass door), next to a table with a lamp (that he kept on all night), so they were constantly exposed to quite a bit of light (there were some other issues, too, but that one was bad enough). I would guess that neither extreme is a great plan, but a little light can go a long way. :)

10. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Once again, thank you for the input. I need all the help I can get in this new venture!

11. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

How often do you guys use water crystals? I haven't used any for a while and my colony is going great, I feel like the water crystals are unnecessary if you feed lots of fresh fruit and veggies (which I do)

12. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I just posted a new question thread on this specific topic. Hopefully we will BOTH be more educated soon...

13. Merlin

When I started out I kept the water crystals in all the time. However I have noticed that the water crystals lasted longer when there were plenty of moistrue rich foods available so my use of the crystals is intermittant.

14. Mulder

Mulder Well-Known Member

I use them more for humidity reasons than consumption reasons. The other tenant in my building (it's a duplex) had issues with me keeping an entire colony of roaches in the building. I keep them at my workshop across town, and while it's heated, it is dry. I was out of town for a few days, and came home to some rubbery crystals and some half-molted roaches. I can get by for about two weeks by just rewetting the crystals every other day before I need to add more.

15. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Actually both my roaches and morio colonies are... by the patio door. :-" I know, I know... I just don't really have anywhere else to put them. I can't put them in my closet in my bedroom since I really don't want any excess heat in my room... I sure as heck can't put them in my wife's closet >:)... and we don't have any other closets big enough to store them. So they're kindof a permanent fixture in our living room :p Fortunately neither of us are big on decor... and she has promised me a "herp basement" when we move xD lol

For my morio colony I use 11" flexwatt strips about 2' long wired in parallel to a rheostat mounted to the outside of the box. Then I just keep the colony in ventilated plastic tubs inside the warm chamber. I keep a disposable gladware with some water in it to bring humidity in the chamber up to about 50% RH. The lid is simple just a hole for some ventilation.
    img2427ir.jpg

Roach box is simpler - just outside lined with reflectix insulation, acrylic window and adjustable vent up top to control humidity, flexwatt+rheostat... easy.

What I like most about flexxwatt:
    - Light weight and easy to mount
    - CHEAP!
    - Easy to wire to a rheostat so you don't have to worry about very high temps contacting your plastic